How to Adjust the Seat Height

Senaca

It's very simple to do and can improve the comfort of your bike. Grab a snack and follow along :D You do need a 5 mm Allen key to remove the main seat.

Start off by removing your rear (passenger) seat. Easily done with the key in the side of the bike.

Now, you need to remove the primary (rider) seat. There are two bolts that require an Allen key of 5 mm to remove, facing the back of the bike. See the 3rd picture below if you can't find them.

Alas, you are almost half-way done already. The picture below is what you should see. There are two bolts (one on each side) that are holding that piece of plastic in place. The plastic plate is the base on which the seat is mounted.

All you do is remove the 2 bolts, slide the plate towards the back to raise the seat, or towards the front to lower it. Replace the bolts in the other position, and voila!

As you can see, Red indicates the High seat position; blue is the Low position.

The arrows indicate which way to slide to get which position. The dots indicate the four spots the seat "stubs" will sit on the plate for each position.

Now, you need to put the primary seat back on. You will notice that it is higher now, and that different holes line up for the bolts. You need to physically reverse the spacers that were facing the front of the bike when the seat was low, so they face the rear of the bike when it is being raised...

... Blue is the stock holes, red is the higher seat position holes.

Put the rear seat back on, and you're done! :D

Here is a close-up of the finished result of raising the seat. It isn't as noticeable from far off. Enjoy!!

Senaca :canada:

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
Nice write up and pics! Thanks!

Some have complained about it being a bit unstable or wobbly in the high position. I'm curious about your experience with it in the high spot.

My wife will never use the high spot but I might some day! :D

fz6rwolf

I've had mine in high position since bought it with no issues. Once you're on it it doesn't move, just when nothing on it it wiggles some.

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
I did the opposite for my wife... that rear bracket on the seat? I flipped it over and reversed the rubber bumpers so she got the seat lowered about 15mm or so. A little extra for the vertically challenged. ;)

Senaca

Went on a nice 240 km ride today (150 miles) to try it out. Here are my findings, also consider my bars are in the "far" position...

I am 150 lbs and 5'11. I found the position to be more comfortable in general. My legs have notably more room than stock height. The position does not comprimise performance much as far as I can tell.

The one thing is that I seemed to notice more wind. I have the stock windscreen still. It is a fairly windy day though, so that may have been all that it was.

Bottom line... take 10 minutes and see if you like it. :D

Senaca :canada:

findmadhav

I am 6ft tall... I found my legs a bit cramped up with the stock position. Increased the seat height to the high position and I feel fine now... Now performance or handling issues whatsoever :)

Fizzer6R

excellent write up! you should do manuals for a living :cool:

my used bike came without the 2 sides bolts in photo # 1 - anyone happen to know what size those are? - are they the same length as the 2 top ones instead of going to store looking for xx MM bolts... thnx

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

surfphotochris

New Bike, New height

Hi all,

I am 6'1" and found the stock or "L" position to be ok for me but I did want to try out the "H" position and raised the seat up a bit. i really like the new height of the seat and it did not compromise stability or handling at all! It is a touch more windy at highway speeds but you can always slump over that tank and let the throttle wail! ;)

In short IMHO 5'10" or taller go for the swap to "H" position as you will appreciate the legroom. (It's like getting bulkhead seating on a plane, you don't need it but it is a nice to have)

Cheers,

Attachments

hua96

What if you don't have this sliding piece? Am I missing out on the ability to lower the seat or is it at the lowest by default?

I bought the bike used and it didn't have it.

2011 FZ6R

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Hood92

Has anyone figured out a good solution to covering the gap thats created when raising the seat?

Thanks

sti491

Do a search on may name. I gotcha covered man...

Has anyone figured out a good solution to covering the gap thats created when raising the seat?

Thanks

Hood92

Do a search on may name. I gotcha covered man...
I've been on this site for a couple years and still struggle navigating. Is it the thread about your seat mod?

Thanks!

sti491