Holy Crap!!!

mbridge51

I had just turned left onto a road with an incline. About 200 yards up the road was the crest of the hill. I had only gone up the hill about 50 yards and was not going very fast when a car tops the hill going what seemed faster than the speed limit. After the car topped the hill it crossed the yellow line and was 2/3 to 3/4 in my lane headed for me. My initial thought was that it was a drunk driver.

I moved as far over to the right side of the road as I could and actually went about 1 foot into the grass off the side of the road. By the time the car passed me, the driver had the car back in her lane. She came to the stop sign at the end of the road, turned left, and just went on her way like nothing happened.

My first instinct was to go after her and rip her a new one, but I would have had to make a U-turn on a blind hill and put myself in a dangerous position. Instead, I just took a deep breath, waited for my heart rate to drop below 150 bpm and thanked God that I was not near the top of the hill when she came over it.

From now on when I come towards a blind hill I'm going to be well to the right side of my lane just in case someone coming the other way crosses the yellow.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
That's how I always approach blind hills and even turns/corners. You never know what's coming from the other direction. I also slow down a bit and cover the brakes and clutch, because you never know what might be stopped in your lane over the hill.

Nice job seeing what danger was ahead and adjusting accordingly. Gald you made it home in one piece.

As a side note, never turn around to follow a vehicle you think wronged you. There is a chance the person is DUI or armed and volatile. It is better to go home pissed off than to the morgue in a body bag. There was a thread on another forum I believe where a biker chased after a guy that nearly ran him off the road, got into a verbal argument and the cager ran him over with his car. Not a good situation to put yourself in. Best just to avoid confrontation. 2000 pounds will always beat 450 pounds. :surrender:

Senaca

In the MSF here in Ottawa, ON, (called the OSC), they taught us to use general lane position while riding, but to be conscious of safer lane positions in certain situations.

This is a perfect example. It's some good advice for riders... when approaching a hill, corner, or anything that obstructs view.. it can be good to consider what lane position keeps you safest.

I'm glad you are okay :)

Senaca :canada: