help! electrical problem: 2009 FZ6R

djayd

so I left my key in the ignition and killed the battery. I managed to get someone to give me a jump start which was great, started the bike up, got it all running and left it running while I put the seat on and everything. figured I'd charge up the battery.
next thing I knowas the bike is 207 degrees Fahrenheit and all the sudden turns itself. off I don't know what happened, the instrument panel is still lit up so I have juice but everytime I try to start the bike the starter relay vibrates and the instrument panel restarts.

I'm currently stranded so any quick help would be awesome otherwise I'm thinking that I might need to replace the starter relay. I noticed it has two fuses on there I haven't been able to check yet.

Dan-600

How long are you letting it idle? If you let it idle too long it will overheat and die. The on board charger doesn't do too well of charging a battery from dead either, best way is to get it on a charger. The nice thing about a bike having a dead battery though is you can power start it..... just pop it in 1st and hold the clutch with the key on and run (obviously while seated on it) getting the bike up to as fast of a coast as you can, than just pop the clutch and it should fire right up (in 1st gear obviously).

I did that for a whole day of riding when my battery died.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member
Last edited:

SixRFixR

Batteries don't like to be discharged like that. It shortens their life. You might need a new one. Fully charge it and then see if it will HOLD the charge.

Our stator (alternator) doesn't recharge while idling. It requires a certain RPM to begin recharging the battery. Put battery on a tender until fully charged. The stator can maintain a charge so it is in fact charging at idle, but if battery is low then the stator won't have enough power at idle.
Ive read its somewhere in the region of 5k for highest output.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

blkbrd

Elite Member

djayd

SO i got another jump start and then hopped on and rode it around for about an hour. When I later turned it off and turned it back on it started up with a couple turn overs. The trickle charger is a good Idea, I remembered that the manual said that the ideal alternator RPM was 5000 so I drove at around 5000 rpm.

I think the starter relay was clicking because the current was insufficient to hold a solid contact. And It probably died because it ran out of juice while idling.

latony007

I have a feeling your going to need a new one even if you do charge it. Something similar happened to me. Everyone is correct about the temp 207 is no biggie the fan is not even on yet. I would highly recommend a battery tender in the future though. $20-25 for the jr model. Plug a pigtail to the battery and leave it under the back seat then whenever you get home just lift up the rear seat and plug it in. Thats what i do and i ride mine about every week.