• Nope!!!

Votes: 46 13.9%
  • Ive taken a different but similar course

Votes: 12 3.6%

• Total voters

JonKerr

Elite Member

redwing-2001

She's fine now that she has a custom built 2005 Harley Sportster Trike! :D She loves it. Her biggest problem is she over thinks things. So the more information she was given and the more instruction she was given, the more over analyzed everything got and the worse she would do. Then when she tried practicing after the class, she would psych herself out and end up (literally) locking up and running wide in turns and off the road. The more this happened, the worse she got, and in turn the more it happened. Now that my uncle has turned her bike into a trike, she's fine and loves riding it.
sounds like you have a really smart uncle.
:D

llervero

Yes and I'm a MSF rider coach. The course is built to teach anyone to ride a motorcycle. But the techniques and group knowledge is what really going to help you out in the futeure.

Y

yellowfz

Watched the wife do her's this weekend , was pretty good aspects taught by the instructor .
So now she wants a bike ASAP .

sltwhr

Here in PA the course is free and you get an insurance discount. Now, if it was only warm year round :(

cpd6l42

When I took the one in Illinois 2 years ago, it was 20 bucks (i think) for a 2.5 day course on a weekend. It taught me and another buddy of mine so much that we told any of our friends that were thinking about getting a license to take the course.

It was definitely worth donating the 20 bucks (the money was to reserve the spot and if you didnt show up the money was theirs and you could choose to donate it or get it back if you completed the course)

and another reason for me to say take this course in illinois was because it was easier than taking the dmv tests :p and more entertaining haha..
I'm also in Illinois and took the SOS( our DMV) test 12 or so years ago on a Honda Interceptor 250 and passed and have been riding since then. I took the MSF 20 hour course( 5 hours Sat/Sun for 2 Weekends) 2 years ago with my Daughter because she wanted to ride. I was the only one in the class with a license and I learned some things. If you go and learn only one new thing, its one thing you didn't know before!

The 20 bucks we used to buy t shirts at the end of the class to show our support. I recommend the class to anyone who asks me. We took the class in a town where I had worked as a Police Officer for years(I'm with a different town now) and I used to stop by there during classes to answer law questions. The instructor was a friend of mine from High School and he told every one the first day that I was a cop and had my license already so to ask me any questions during breaks. He told me that was the first class that he actually got a break because they were always asking me questions.
Keep the shiny side up!

jabe

Advanced 1 day

I was required to take the advanced 1 day course as I was working on Base. I had been riding for about 12 years I guess before this and I walked away with terms to describe what I had been doing all along just didn't know... I also walked away with corrected bad habits... I also walked away with things I didn't know.

Doing the course should be a requirement everywhere especially here in SoCal! I bought my wife a bike and have taught her to ride and she's doing really well on a permit but she is still going to do the riders course because its the smart thing to do. Plus now that I have the Raven that she wants to ride, I told her, not till after the course. :D

Bought a slightly used R1200GS in February. Hadn't ridden a motorcycle since I was in my 20's....Had to wait until March to take the MSF and get my certification. Late fall decided I needed two bikes and fell in love :innocent: with the 2009 Yamaha FZ6R. Now I own one with 63 miles on it. Damn snow anyway...

Midori

they also have advanced classes for more experienced riders to help test your skills and increase them in a safe environment on your own bike
When I asked about the ARC they said it was just the BRC except on your own machine. I'll be taking the ARC later this summer not only for kicks but because State Farm apparently provides an additional discount if you take it. Might be worth looking into.

redwing-2001

When I asked about the ARC they said it was just the BRC except on your own machine. I'll be taking the ARC later this summer not only for kicks but because State Farm apparently provides an additional discount if you take it. Might be worth looking into.
the MSF RiderCourse names have change a bit this year. Here is a run-down (check with your state program or Motorcycle Safety Foundation for more details):

BRC (Basic RiderCourse) as the name implies, this course is for beginners. Fifteen hour course that could be spread over 2 to 4 days depending on who is administering.

BRC2, formally Experienced RiderCourse is the intermediate RiderCoourse that is a one day course conducted mostly on the range. This course uses most of the the exercises from the second half of the BRC but on your motorcycle. Plus a few new exercises. The pace should be stepped up a bit.

ARC (Advanced RiderCourse) As the name implies, this course delves into more advanced techniques like body positioning, threshhold braking, risk analysis. It is a one day class, three hours of classroom and the rest on the range using your motorcycle. All new exercises. This is the civilian version of the military ARC-ST.

I am facilitating an ARC in Perry, GA (near Macon not too far from Atlanta) on January 16 (Sunday). Maybe it will warm up by then. Y'all come down, ya hear ;-)
Go here for more details on this class https://online.dds.ga.gov/motorcycle/index.aspx

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Detrich

in CA, the MSF "Basic" course is to get you riding safely & to get you licensed with the DMV. then after that, they have what are called "Additional Practice" courses for around $150 for 2 days- depending on the time of year. then, after that, there are the "Refresher" courses and the "Intermediate" riding courses. your wife will not need the "Advanced" class until after she's got some serious ride time under her belt, because the "Advanced" course, as i understand it is for people who've been riding forever and are looking to seriously up the ante. hope this helps. :)

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Detrich

lol... i know. :)

i want to take a race course one of these days- after i get my R6! but, i need to become a better rider first!

Detrich

Dimefan

I started :Sport: when gas was 75 a gallon, there was no such thing as a MSF or similar then. Anyway nothing can replace education. Maybe I should take it now and see what I don't know:shakehead:
LOL I hear ya! I started riding when gas was .89 cents per gallon and you still had an option for leaded or unleaded. I wasn't even old enough for a driver's license either...:rockon:

Dimefan

I'd like to get both my wife and I into the course. She's never ridden and it couldn't hurt for me to learn something new. Plus, if I can get her comfortable riding, she can take the FZ6R and i can upgrade!