FZ6R upgrade?

kromp

Hey guys!

So, let me give a little background. I own an FZ6R now, but before that I also owned an R6 and a CBR1000RR. I picked up the FZ6R because I'd had enough of the crappy posture (I'm 6'3") and wasn't so keen on going super fast anymore.

Unfortunately, I eventually got the itch and decide I needed something with a little more power. I saw a good deal on a 2010 Honda VFR1200F and jumped on it. Long story short, I don't much care for it. I do most of my riding around town and it just feels jumpy at those speeds, like I need to baby the throttle or disengage the clutch to keep a stable speed. Plus the ride is just rougher, between engine vibration and the fact that it starts acting like it's going to take off after about 4K rpm.

I jumped on the FZ6R again tonight for the first time in a few weeks, and it definitely feels better. Just smoother and easier to ride, and more stable.

Do these problems that I'm having with the VFR make sense? I want something with a little more power that's still comfortable to ride around on the streets. I want upright posture, but also want something that feels smooth and controlled at low speeds, that I don't have to micromanage in the low ranges.

If the VFR can't do this for me, then what will? An FZ8? FZ1? Ninja 1000?

It's kind of hard to ask this vague question, but it's always a pain in the *** to shop around for bikes since they never do test rides!

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

kromp

I will have to take a look at an FZ09 in person then, because to me the look is pretty in appealing, kind of a dirt bike look to the curves of it. Which is odd, because I like both the FZ1 and FZ8.

BigRobb

Go try an FZ09... if all you need is something to zip around town with more torque and power that you will ever need.

Love mine so far. Ah, it does look much better in person than on picture.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
I'll second that. Very hard bike to beat. I thought it looked good on the web, it looks awesome in person. And for thousands less than comparable bikes.

Sent from my C5170 using Tapatalk 4

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

BKP

Street Triple?
The FZ09 Forum has a couple of threads on the 09 vs the Street Triple. Good information. I looked for the same conversation on the Street Triple thread and couldn't find one. Not sure if that was because I didn't specify a good enough search parameter, or if it's just not there.

However, with the exception of the optional ABS brakes on the Triumph (which I can't say I miss on the 6R), I don't see much of a Triumph advantage (and those headlights on the Street Triple kill me). Otherwise, the Triumph is a *fabulous* bike (I've had the privilege to ride one). However, the 09 still tops my short list, unless I can find a real compelling reason not to go with it.

Cerebus

I'll agree on the headlight, but with the flyscreen it looks a little better. As a whole, the Striple is much better looking than the FZ09 IMHO.

kromp

My problem with the smaller streetfighter bikes is that I feel like they'd be too small for me. I've seen tall people on a Street Triple and it seems a little awkward. But I'll check out the FZ-09 in the local shop for sure.

BKP

I'll agree on the headlight, but with the flyscreen it looks a little better. As a whole, the Striple is much better looking than the FZ09 IMHO.
Ya think? I don't... Opinions?

kromp

I prefer the headlight on the FZ09, but the general curvature from the back of the seat to the end of the gas tank feels too smooth and too much like a dirt bike. Just my opinion!

Cerebus

I prefer the headlight on the FZ09, but the general curvature from the back of the seat to the end of the gas tank feels too smooth and too much like a dirt bike. Just my opinion!
I agree on all accounts. The Striple is just plain sexy to me, even with the headlights.

And those gold forks are fugly.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

latony007

i agree the headlights on the street triple make it look like a bug from the front. The FZ09 headlight def. looks better. The triple is a sweet bike though I have ridden one on several occasions and it sounds very distinctive. I really like the way the exhausts are on the Yamaha vs. the street triple though, especially if you 2 up. Id like to check out a Daytona 675 sometime but Im guessing that has a more supersport lay on the tank type position which is no good for me.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

BKP

Thanks, Dart... they don't do enough demo days in Atlanta... and it's a big market here.

Been wanting to take out a Bolt as well... (sh!ts and giggles, and something I was considering at one time)...