FZ6R suspension question!!

Spunky99

Last edited:

JnT4Life

My .02 on setting the preload. Being an old school MX'er myself, I am aware of how important the correct spring rate and sag settings are. Adjusting your preload, is adjusting your sag, or how much the bike sags under your weight. I think it should be close to 35mm for a street bike. It was 100 mm for MX. But that can vary based on personal preference. What you are doing when you stiffen up the sag is effectively shorten your suspension stroke. If you have to dial it up to the max to get anywhere close to the correct amount of sag then most likely you need a stiffer spring. I weigh about 230 too, so I know that these springs are no where near the rate they need to be for my weight, but I don't ride very aggresively either..... at least not yet ;). I actually had to dial my preload back a step or two from max because everytime I hit a bump, it would bottom out quickly. I think this can be dangerous and cause a quick rebound that could possibly send you out of control. Of course even less rebound doesn't help a whole lot since these springs are so soft for my weight, because it can just blow through the stroke, but it doesn't bottom as much over the small stuff. The correct answer is stiffer springs. But that will have to wait, just like my overpants lol. :surrender:

arkkornkid

yeah, I'll agree with that..... and I want to go with the hypertech front/rear combo. Just have to wait a little while until I get the funds.

Spunky99

yeah, I'll agree with that..... and I want to go with the hypertech front/rear combo. Just have to wait a little while until I get the funds.
Same here;)

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
I actually had to dial my preload back a step or two from max because everytime I hit a bump, it would bottom out quickly.
I don't think that you were feeling a "bottom out" condition if you have the shock setting high. If anything, you are a lot less likely to bottom out on the higher setting. When you weigh over 150 on the FZ6R and set the rear too low, you will bottom out often and can blow a seal.

I do ride very aggressively in corners only. I have no interest in top speed, hole shots, drag racing.... riding to me is all about the corners, technical abilities and getting through a corner safely and efficiently. I still have a lot of work to do but I'm doing OK. ;)

If an FZ6R rider is over 200 lbs with gear, the rear set to 7 isn't going to harm you at all. Yes, it will be a bit stiff, but if you corner even close to how I do, you will want the rear FIRMLY planted through the corner to account for the extra G-force applied with the corner lean and your increasing weight (due to g-force) on the bike. Unfortunately, we cannnot fix the front so there is where you need to judge your safe lean/speed most.

You larger riders, please trust me on this... you can always bump it down, but try a 7 (MAX) and work through some corners at a mediocre speed to start and gradually increase speed. If it is to harsh and seems to settle to quickly, back off to 6 and start over.... I think you'll find 7 in a hard lean at speed through a corner to be most favorable.

Those who are smaller riders, stick with the three and try bumping up one setting at a time to gauge the ride. When it feels too harsh in the corner, go back one notch and settle for it going forward.

Roaddawg

I'm 225-ish and run 36 front and 42 rear for the tires. I check my tire pressure every week and have almost 15k on the stock tires. Also, I put the rear to 5 initially and rode that way for about 13k miles. I just recently moved it to 6 and did notice it to be a little stiffer, but not too different. I think I'm feeling the lack of the front more now that I put the rear to 6. I may go back to 5 just to feel 'even'.

ajcatx

So I am 186lbs and have my rear shock on 3 i am guessing i need to bump it up. I have not experienced any bottoming out but the bike does feel a little uneasy sometimes in turns. Not sure if thats my riding skills or if i need to adjust the rear shock up a bit. Anyone around my weight what are you running the rear shock at?

Spunky99

I did a test of the rear suspension today.
I adjusted the rear shock pre-load from 3 to 6 at lunch.
On the way home I noticed a definite improvement.
The rear end did not drop with each shift under hard power and I was able to push the bike into turns with authority. There was no washing out or up and down motion during a turn and the bike stood up properly when exiting.
I came home and changed the setting to 7, put on all my riding gear and went for the litmus test. The first thing I noticed is that the reaction to ground bumps etc was less pronounced and actually smoother. Less vibration from the rear. I did the bounce test from the pegs and it was more even than the #6 setting which still had the rear dropping slightly more.
Cornering is fast and authoritative. I can enter a corner at a much higher rate of speed with better control all the way through to the end.

I was beginning to think I forgot how to ride the corners after a 25 year layoff but after this change, it's all come back to me now.

It stays at 7....:D:D:D:D:D

stuna

I'm 225-ish and run 36 front and 42 rear for the tires. I check my tire pressure every week and have almost 15k on the stock tires. Also, I put the rear to 5 initially and rode that way for about 13k miles. I just recently moved it to 6 and did notice it to be a little stiffer, but not too different. I think I'm feeling the lack of the front more now that I put the rear to 6. I may go back to 5 just to feel 'even'.
15 k :confused: do you have dunflops or brigs ?? my brigs got 5100 mi rear , 6900 front

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

ajcatx

I moved mine to 5 tonight and it felt a lot more stable in the corners. Gonna try out 6 and 7 and see how they feel now

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

Grinch79

I'm about 220 and I have a total of 300 miles of TOTAL MOTORCYCLE experience under my belt and it's all come from my 6R. I read earlier from this thread and on some other threads here about setting the rear a little higher if you are a heavier rider.

I took the same little 45 mile loop through town as I do every night now at the setting of 4 and it felt different. I wasn't sure if this is how it should be or what but it just felt that the squishy suspension felt more....comfortable I guess. Now with only 300 miles of experience if I'm scrapping my knee it's because something went terribly wrong and not because I'm enjoying a nice turn in the road.

If I go up to the 4,5, or even 6 will I need to change everything I have up through now known about the bike handling the way it does?

Spunky99

If I go up to the 4,5, or even 6 will I need to change everything I have up through now known about the bike handling the way it does?
You won't lose a thing and what you know now will just feel more natural.
Bump it to 6, ride for a while and them to 7.
My money says you will like 7 and keep it there as it really just ignores all the small bumps and works like it's supposed to. Much smoother.

;)

Roaddawg

15 k :confused: do you have dunflops or brigs ?? my brigs got 5100 mi rear , 6900 front
Got the bridgestone battlax. I'm surprised too. Like I've said, i've been anal about checking the PSI every week. And, many of my miles are commuting, but I don't have much of a flat spot because I take it into the hills on the weekends to round it out. I'm about 1/8 inch to the wear indicators right now. So, I'm starting to look at tires and waiting for a good sale.

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
Glad you bigger riders are trying out the harder settings. :D I wouldn't let you down.... ;)

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

Spunky99

Moved mine from 3 to 5 after I got to work this morning. Gonna give it a whirl after I leave and see how it feels!
Here is my assessment on the suspension of the FZ6R.
This bike's suspension was engineered for Girls and smaller Men of around 125 to 150 lbs. This was a design compromise as one size cannot fit all.
I suppose since they already have the F6R, they expect heavier and more experienced riders to buy that product.
Having to change the preload to 7 means that the spring is too soft for the heavier riders. A heavier spring where the preload can be set to 3 or 4 is needed for the heavier riders. This will give us proper preload and proper spring rate.
This is not a criticism of the bike but rather an assessment on the design theory. As soon as I get the $$ together I'm going to upgrade to the Hypertech front/rear combo. It won't be perfect but for heavier riders this seems to be an affordable alternative. The bike has potential but it is not ever going to be race ready so I am just looking for the proper springs for my weight.
I am digging the 7 setting for sure tho.....cornering is soooooo much better.:D

Mart Man FZ6R

OK, I feel like a dumb a**. I looked at my shock and I can see the preload ring with the numbers on it. But how do you know which number it's set at. I can't find a mark to indicate which # is the selected number. I had no issue finding the tool to adjust, but don't know where to go. Am I already at 7? Can't tell!!. Also found it's not too easy to get the tool in place and have room to turn it. The damn plastic from the fender is right in front of the ring. If you go to one side, the brake line tube is in the way and on the other side, you've got the chain guard to deal with.

I saw a previous post where one guy changed his setting on lunch break, so I must just be missing something. On the side with the break line tube I can see a very small yellow dot on a bracket, and some blueish paint across the bolt for the shock, but I think that's so the techs can see if you've messed with the bolt.

If someone's got a photo of where the marker is for position and how you go at the ring adjustment it would be great.

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
Has anyone investigated other companies outside of Hyper Pro? There's a couple other places that you can do a lot more with the suspension on these bikes as well. Racetech and Traxxion Dynamics both offer you springs based on YOUR weight, thus better customizing the bike for your individual needs.

Here's the FZ6R listing for Racetech: RACE TECH PRODUCT SEARCH (Don't worry about the 2010... it all fits the '09 too)

Not only do they size the springs to your needs but they have EXCELLENT cartridge emulators that you can adjust and drop in to make your forks act like a fully adjustable. You can continue to adjust but it does mean popping the caps off the forks to do this.

Motorcycle Suspension by Traxxion Dynamics is also a customized fit but you need to call and speak with Lee who will sell you exactly what you need for your weight and riding style.

Hyper Pro bothers me because it's a set of springs... that is it.... and it's not customized for you as an individual.