Fuse box location? Pretty frustrating

Rman

Hello, I'm 90% sure I need to replace the fuse for my lights (all blinkers, and rear regular/brake light are out) and I'm having... trouble.

What I have done:
Read in a number of manuals the locations of fuse boxes. FZ6R manual from 2009 says fuse box is "under the rider seat". I removed the seats, and attempted to remove the plastic cover that is over top of [I believe] the battery. There are 2 bolts holding this plastic sheet on top of the battery. I attempted to remove them but found the bolts were so tight I was bending the rather thin metal they are attached to. Also, a couple of those bolts began to strip as the sockets I have aren't an exact match, and even the wrench included in the little tool kit isn't a great fit (I partially stripped one with the socket, and one with the wrench.. then figured I should stop).
I also wasn't 100% sure that's where the fuse box is since it isn't a manual for my year, and I found a post on another forum for fz6rs saying it was under a panel along the right (throttle) side. So I also removed pretty much every panel and looked around, on both sides... no fuse box of course.

Before I go doing anything crazy like ripping this POS plastic sheet out from the rider seat compartment, I just want to confirm that is where the fuse box is...

In the attached pictures, on the clutch side I've searched compartments 1, 2, 3, and 4. and on the throttle side, I've searched 1, 2, 3, and 5... 4 is mostly blocked by that aforementioned POS plastic sheet.

Attachments

Last edited:

Just_Jim

The fuse box is under the seat right in front of the battery.

Rman

:/ alright, thanks for the confirmation... I'm probably going to have to cut out that plastic cover then.. bummer, hope it doesn't actually do anything... I guess I'll try to do it as cleanly as possible and remount it somehow after.

Just_Jim

Are you referring to the seat base? You want to try to avoid messing that up or your seat won't stay in place.

If you do mess it up, you can buy a new one from BikeBandit.com for about $24.

Rman

yes, it is the seat base (looked it up on bikebandit) and I actually didn't have to cut it... I decided to give it one more go with my adjustable crescent wrench and was able to get a good enough bite on the bolt to get them turning... made a nice loud snap as the moved for the first time. It's probably reachable without even removing the seat base, I just wasn't 100% sure how to open it or if the box I was seeing was actually it.