Forum time out, can it be increased please.

BoneJj

I noticed that the forums time out setting for the login is pretty short, probably set tot the stock/standard 15 minutes. Could this be increased to like 30-45 minutes or even 1 hours. I get to reading something and type a response and then go back to check new posts and all the new posts have been reset because I was typing something up for to long.

Thanks in advance if we can get this adjusted. If the forum supermod or admin needs help with this I can give you direction as I run several VB forums.

BoneJj

I just click the "keep me logged in" box, no?
That doesn't affect the forum time out, that only keeps you from having to re-log in when it times out.

I have a lot of experience with this stuff.

There is also an option to change the settings to keep track of read and unread messages on the server instead of cookie based so that you never have to worry about unread posts getting missed even if you only read one thread every couple hours, lol. I use this on my forums but it does take up more database memory to do this. But on this forum it wouldn't be a bad idea seeing as there isn't a couple thousand accounts active at one time.

Fizzer6R

is there a reason not to just stay logged in, so it keeps you from having to re-log in when it times out - i'm confused as well why you want/need to time out

BoneJj

is there a reason not to just stay logged in, so it keeps you from having to re-log in when it times out - i'm confused as well why you want/need to time out
The time out is the time that you "appear" as active to the forum. So basically as long as the forum will say that you are still active on the site, you know those little dots that whatever user is currently on the forum. Well that information translates to the new posts as well. When you walk away for 15 minutes or take to long to read the page of a thread or even just take to long looking something up to put in your response you have timed out and the new posts have been reset...

There are many settings to the forum and this is one of the annoying ones, lol.

Vb is a very complicated bit of software and is not matched by any other software on the market at this time. It has settings for all kind of things... It can honestly take a couple hours just to get all the settings tweaked when you start a forum with a fresh install, it's quite the pain in the ass. Then you find yourself back in there either that day or the next again to re-adjust things, lol. Hell, when I started my forum years ago I was in there at least 2-4 times a weeks just tweaking things.

Fizzer6R

yeah I think I understand the time out thing. but what I don't really get is if you frequent this or any other forum on a constant basis, why not just leave yourself logged in - are there any real issues with that?

on a related note, I swear on at least one other forum I've seen an option that you can select how long the time out is, leave me logged in for x minutes/hours...

Last edited:

BoneJj

yeah I think I understand the time out thing. but what I don't really get is if you frequent this or any other forum on a constant basis, why not just leave yourself logged in - are there any real issues with that?

on a related note, I swear on at least one other forum I've seen an option that you can select how long the time out is, leave me logged in for x minutes/hours...
login and time out are 2 separte things.... I keep my self logged in but all accounts time out regardless of the login setting....

Y

yellowfz

I am with you on this one, it is a PITA.

Here is what I found; VBulletin community forum === "If a client session is idle for a set period of time the session will timeout or expire. After this happens, it will no longer be valid. This value is set at "Settings -> Options -> Cookies and HTTP Header Options"->"Session Timeout", The default value is 900 seconds or 15 minutes."

cloudfire

I have the same problem. Login is not the problem, I use the new posts button and if you've been sitting there for longer than 15 minutes the results will come back blank. Very annoying.