First time!

FlyZ6R

So, I'm scheduled for the MSF BRC next weekend but I just couldn't wait that long to ride. My bike's been sitting in the garage for almost 2 weeks and it's been calling to me! I finally broke down, geared up, and rode a street bike for the very first time! It was awesome! Aside from stalling it the first time and not-so-smooth throttling at slow speed in first gear it went quite well. I live at the end of a cul de sac so very little traffic or other hazards to worry about. I really like how the bike felt and am looking forward to completing the BRC and taking the bike for a spin out in the big bad world.

I did have a question though: was this a bad idea that I just got lucky and didn't dump it? I took things very slow and easy (barely saw 3rd gear by the end of 20 min), but i am brand new at this.The extent of my motorcycle experience prior was a Honda 50 trail bike I fooled around with about 15 years ago! If I do anymore before the course it will be similar conditions, I will not go into traffic or anything without the certificate, but should i just wait to ride at all until then? What do you guys think?

madmike

Lord Humongous
Elite Member

Rookasaki

The MSF course will teach you proper riding techniques and expose you to situations you might come upon in the real world... It won't make you a better rider overnight, however it will give you the knowledge to become one. Experience in the saddle is the only thing that will make you a better rider.

I would practice riding up and down the street.. Back roads etc. Get a feel for the bike, balance, throttle vs clutch etc.... I started riding back in 2004. Road for about a month prior to taking the MSF course... I was able to ride in the "real world" just fine.. However I learn a lot from the course. Never knew about counter steering until I took the course.. God only knows how I survived for that first month. Ride safe. :thumbup:

Grayce

Welcome to the forum and to riding!! We (husband and I) were in the same boat as well, new bikes and a month to the class (2007). Like you, we live on a cul-de-sac, started off slow, then around the neighborhood gaining a little speed, working our way to the busier neighborhood streets and empty parking lots. Though we were worried about crashing/falling, we were glad for the time we had prior to the class. We had also read the manual for the rules, regs, tips, etc. before heading out which also helped a lot. The class will be great and consider taking the Advanced Rider Course next year (if one is offered in your area) on your own bike - covers the same riding techniques in a one-day class. We found it advantageous to use our own bikes over the Honda 250's supplied by the course - and the maneuvering practice never gets old - you never know when you'll need it!!

Detrich

Ditto what everyone said above... Learning is a continuous process. It never stops.

I took a slow speed maneuvering class lately, and I'm actually shocked that msf did not teach us these techniques! I feel that a lotta new riders would not tip over as much and would have much better slow speed/ u-turn control had they taught us these techniques.

Better late than never though. :)

redwing-2001

Ditto what everyone said above... Learning is a continuous process. It never stops.

I took a slow speed maneuvering class lately, and I'm actually shocked that msf did not teach us these techniques! I feel that a lotta new riders would not tip over as much and would have much better slow speed/ u-turn control had they taught us these techniques.

Better late than never though. :)
The MSF promotes "life-long" learning beginning with the Basic RiderCourse. Really can't teach a brand new rider everything in one weekend. It's a building block process. It is all about continual learning through courses, doing, reading, talking to others (like this forum), repeat.
Glad you had a good experience with your recent course. What's next?:D

redwing-2001

So, I'm scheduled for the MSF BRC next weekend but I just couldn't wait that long to ride. My bike's been sitting in the garage for almost 2 weeks and it's been calling to me! I finally broke down, geared up, and rode a street bike for the very first time! It was awesome! Aside from stalling it the first time and not-so-smooth throttling at slow speed in first gear it went quite well. I live at the end of a cul de sac so very little traffic or other hazards to worry about. I really like how the bike felt and am looking forward to completing the BRC and taking the bike for a spin out in the big bad world.

I did have a question though: was this a bad idea that I just got lucky and didn't dump it? I took things very slow and easy (barely saw 3rd gear by the end of 20 min), but i am brand new at this.The extent of my motorcycle experience prior was a Honda 50 trail bike I fooled around with about 15 years ago! If I do anymore before the course it will be similar conditions, I will not go into traffic or anything without the certificate, but should i just wait to ride at all until then? What do you guys think?

Good that you are taking it easy right now. It is difficult waiting. Here is a link to take a look at the textbook that will be used http://msf-usa.org/CurriculumMaterials/BRCHandbook2009.pdf
Pay particular attention to the friction zone; that will help you with the throttle control you mentioned.
Be patient, it will be worth it to hold back a little.

FlyZ6R

Thanks for all the responses! I want to absorb as much info as I can but I also know that there is no substitute for experience. Aside from the overwhelming desire to ride the bike, I also chose to ride it yesterday to get a feel for riding again before taking the MSF course as well as getting to know MY bike a little bit.

I haven't decided if I'm going to take the bike out again before the course begins yet. Chances are that I will, but I will definitely be reading the MSF textbook. Thank you very much for the link Redwing! This site has awesome members, I appreciate all your insight and help!

Fizzer6R

congrats on you being mature and responsible enough not to go play out in traffic, literally!

take it slow, practice balance, shifting, breaking and speed will come in time. "you must first learn to walk before you can run" :cool:

roadrat

Welcome Fly! :welcome: Lots of people never even take the basic riding course so congrats on approaching the sport responsibly!! You will be amazed how fast you gain confidence... I started riding around the block and gradually increased my riding area - after five months of almost daily riding I feel really comfortable on the bike!

FlyZ6R

Thanks! I'm looking forward to gaining the experience and really getting out there and enjoying riding. I know that after the course and the more I ride the more confident I will be. I'm planning on gaining lots of confidence. :D

Michael Wilson

Well I been riding and racing dirtbikes for 13 out of the 19 years I been alive. Ranging from 50cc all the way up to 450cc modified class. When it came time to take the course my ridercoaches spent more time breaking bad habbits from racing then they did teaching me anything :p Just be carefull and don't ride too much untill your class is over! And remember SAFTEY FIRST!

Dave.TX

Welcome, Fly! You should enjoy the MSF course, the one I took two years ago was filled with friendly people and lots of patience. There were about a dozen of us and we all had fun. The 250's weren't bad, it only took about an hour to get used to it.

Like mentioned earlier, don't ride so much that you start to develop bad habits before the MSF. You have a long time of riding ahead of you! If you use the points and experience you gain from the course then you'll be much better off.

I know a guy that rides and does not have his motorcycle endorsement on his license. I will not ride with him when I do get my bike. In fact I've told him if I see him riding in my patrol district there's a good possibility I'd stop him and ticket him for riding without a license. Chances are he'd never venture into my area though. I don't have any respect for that type of attitude he exudes.

Do things the right way and you'll never have anything to worry about. Practice away from traffic (like mentioned) and you can get the basics down pretty quickly.

I've ridden 2 wheelers in the past and took to it very easily. I've also ridden 3 and 4 wheelers (desert, sand dunes) and had a blast. There isn't anything like the freedom of you and your bike!

Soapartist

I also chose to ride it yesterday to get a feel for riding again before taking the MSF course as well as getting to know MY bike a little bit.
I haven't decided if I'm going to take the bike out again before the course begins yet. Chances are that I will, but I will definitely be reading the MSF textbook. Thank you very much for the link Redwing! This site has awesome members, I appreciate all your insight and help!
Our courses were packed the year I wanted to take it, so it was a month before we could get scheduled at a time it would work for us.
I needed to ride before the course to give me a little pratice, and courage though;), so I bought a used 250 yamaha virago, got my permit, rode around for a month on that till the course. It was a good thing to get a little confidence under my belt before the class.

FlyZ6R

Course complete! I got my card! Now I just have to send a copy of it, along with a bunch of other paperwork, to my home-state DMV so I can get my endorsement. The class was awesome and I learned a lot.

Fzara2000

Course complete! I got my card! Now I just have to send a copy of it, along with a bunch of other paperwork, to my home-state DMV so I can get my endorsement. The class was awesome and I learned a lot.
Congrats! Just be careful out there. I got my card in October and things are a lot different in the parking lot compared to real world traffic. Just take it slow and read a couple books and take it for what it's worth!

Chorizoflex

First time

I'm hoping to learn alot from the veterans. I really want to learn how to do things on my bike by myself, that way I know my bike in and out and I don have to rely on some stranger to see if I'm getting the best work done on my bike. I've been riding my FZ6R for a year now. Previously I was riding alot of four wheelers and riden some dirt bikes also. Well hope you guys can help a fellow rider out.

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

redwing-2001

FlyZ6R

To borrow and modify AOPA Flight Training Magazine's slogan, "A Good Pilot Is Always Learning"; it's also true that "A Good Rider Is Always Learning". I don't think any of us will ever learn all there is to know about riding a motorcycle, and it may indeed just be impossible for a man to learn everything there is to know in a lifetime.
Know that all too well! I think flight training really gave me a good "mindset" going into riding that there is always something else that you can learn.

Thanks for the info Redwing! I'll study up and get some practice!