First bike...coming very soon

MNDZA

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting here. I am glad I found this site because I really wanted the yellow FZ6R, but did not like the star design on it and almost decided to go with a different color, but your tips just made me realize I could easily solve this problem myself with a little heat and WD40. Thanks!

BTW, I am a complete beginner and will be taking the MSF course early April and hopefully taking delivery of my FZ6R right after. Any tips for a new rider?

mbridge51

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting here. I am glad I found this site because I really wanted the yellow FZ6R, but did not like the star design on it and almost decided to go with a different color, but your tips just made me realize I could easily solve this problem myself with a little heat and WD40. Thanks!

BTW, I am a complete beginner and will be taking the MSF course early April and hopefully taking delivery of my FZ6R right after. Any tips for a new rider?
I am a beginner on street bikes also (grew up riding motocross bikes), so I'm sure there are more riders on this forum that could offer you more useful advice than I. I took the MSF course about a year ago and brought my new FZ6R home last month. The only humble advice I'll offer for now is GEAR UP if you have not already. Full face helmet, boots, gloves, pants, jacket. There are a million different opinions on what kind of gear, i.e. leather, mesh, etc... Just get something, with some armor in it, in between you and the pavement.

A

abacall

Welcome along. Be careful is the bast advice for a new rider. Take your time and always ride within your comfort zone, at least your first year.
Most riders fall, drop their bike, or get into some kind of accident within their first year. Compound onto that the tricky clutch of the FZ, and its serious power, and you can easily get in over your head.
Take the course, take it easy, log as many miles as you can, and have fun!

fz6rwolf

Welcome along. Be careful is the bast advice for a new rider. Take your time and always ride within your comfort zone, at least your first year.
Most riders fall, drop their bike, or get into some kind of accident within their first year. Compound onto that the tricky clutch of the FZ, and its serious power, and you can easily get in over your head.
Take the course, take it easy, log as many miles as you can, and have fun!

Couldn't say about the Fz6 clutch but I've found the FZ6R clutch VERY smooth with an easy pull. Only around 200 miles since got it a week ago (would have put alot more on today but only about 50 miles as I had to stop a couple times to thaw out, maybe next week will get warmer days).

Johnfz6r

I agree with the wolf the clutch is super smooth I have only gotten a tad over 300 on mine. So far in the break in period I would say the power is more than manageable. Since it will be your first bike I would invest in frame sliders along with all the gear!

S

Shinn

I do believe abacall was talking about the FZ6 and not the R. I own the 6, but I got to drive the 6R the other day. Quite a bit of difference, the 6R is much more user friendly.

For a new rider, always keep play the game you are invisible, and everyone wants to be where you are. Keeps you watching for idiots and other obstacles.

C

cv_rider

Put frame sliders on it before you take it out. They are $50, will save your bike from damage when you inevitably drop it in your driveway. Both my left AND right slider has proven its worth already! If my whole bike looked like my sliders do, it would be a mess. I've had 0mph drops on both sides now.

MNDZA

Where do the frame sliders mount on this bike? Also, are there any other sliders that can go on it to protect the rear section of the bike? Any pics?

J

jhosler

I found frame sliders for around $109.00 on yamaha's website. it looks like you have to drill a hole through the plastics and the brackets bolt to the frame.

fuzzylogic

yeah i saw those as well. i might pick them up in the next few weeks if a different alternative isn't released soon. i would rather not drill through the fairings but at the same time the dmg done from dropping it without sliders would be much more severe.