Faster faster faster

Mikester88

First off I didn't get this bike for insane speeds. I know it's not for that (BUT) it's got decent power. I bought it for how comfy it is. But I'd also like to roll with my friends's r6's and what not. Or atleast be closer to rolling with them ha. What's the most we can do to get our bikes more up to tempo with the 600 supersports? P.S. Don't say get a supersport, I like my fz6r :)

owldaddy

What's the most we can do to get our bikes more up to tempo with the 600 supersports?
Get to a riding school. Something like this Motorcycle Riding School - California Superbike School
Using the proper techniques will allow your bike to keep up with those who do not possess those skills. IMHO this is the best way to get faster. You would be surprised how many superbike riders are posers. Looking good with all the right hardware, and not being able to use it to it's full abilities.

JonKerr

Elite Member
Last edited:

stuna

suspension upgrade will allow the bike to be rode harder
mine is soo sweet now :D
i thought it rode decent stock , but compared to now stock is poor :eek:
it is the best riding bike i have ever had , and i have had a few .
one of them now is my gl1800

Fogride

It's not just the HP, the front end is kicked out more than the street racers, the frame is not as strong. Picking the bike up from a hard left and and going to a hard right brings on the flex or hula. Doesn't hop,but it flexes in the rear. It also flexes on a right now lane change. I guess there is a reason the street racers have that aluminum spar frame. The little bike does everything it's supposed to do. It's fun and capable, and it's comfortable. That's why I bought it and I like it. Wouldn't trade it for a all out 600.

owldaddy

Fogride, you might try adding cartridge emulators to your bike. Since doing the Racetech cartridge emulators in the forks, I haven't had the dreaded hula. I'm not so sure the frame is the offender. The reason we have a steel frame is because it is cheap. This bike has a bargain basement price. Aluminum is lighter weight, and that is the reason they use it in those more expensive sport bikes. Steel frames can be just as rigid as aluminum. In fact some high quality sport bikes still use a steel truss frame, they are strong and rigid. I have stated before that I think the forks are the weak link on this bike, I stand by that. If going faster in the twisties is your goal, get some schooling and fix those forks. You will be faster, no doubt. I was amazed at how well this bike can handle, dragging the pegs is the limiting factor when going fast in the twisties after fixing the forks. Frame or swingarm flexing hasn't been an issue for me. If I got the hula every-time I went fast, I would dump this bike and buy something else. I'm keeping it. Setting up the suspension right will do wonders for this machine. More HP would be nice, but isn't necessary. As Jon Kerr pointed out, one of the fastest guys he knows, rides a 250. Now I'm going to suit up and go for a ride, I love being retired lol.

stuna

Fogride, you might try adding cartridge emulators to your bike. Since doing the Racetech cartridge emulators in the forks, I haven't had the dreaded hula. I'm not so sure the frame is the offender. The reason we have a steel frame is because it is cheap. This bike has a bargain basement price. Aluminum is lighter weight, and that is the reason they use it in those more expensive sport bikes. Steel frames can be just as rigid as aluminum. In fact some high quality sport bikes still use a steel truss frame, they are strong and rigid. I have stated before that I think the forks are the weak link on this bike, I stand by that. If going faster in the twisties is your goal, get some schooling and fix those forks. You will be faster, no doubt. I was amazed at how well this bike can handle, dragging the pegs is the limiting factor when going fast in the twisties after fixing the forks. Frame or swingarm flexing hasn't been an issue for me. If I got the hula every-time I went fast, I would dump this bike and buy something else. I'm keeping it. Setting up the suspension right will do wonders for this machine. More HP would be nice, but isn't necessary. As Jon Kerr pointed out, one of the fastest guys he knows, rides a 250. Now I'm going to suit up and go for a ride, I love being retired lol.
http://www.600cc.org/forum/f89/racetech-fork-mod-18877/
DEPENDING ON YOUR WEIGHT THE SPRINGS MAY BE TO SOFT ALSO

JonKerr

Elite Member

toddjcruz

I wouldnt bother myself, because regardless of how well do you with your riding skills and corners, horsepower is king. Unless the road is NOTHING but corners, they will leave you behind between each one.

I had an old FJ1100, 125hp. It cornered for crap but has some serious power for the time. I could be following guys in their 600s/750s with all the skill in the world, scraping their footpegs and all, and I could be just taking it easy in the corner and still just gobble up the difference in a VERY short straitaway. Doesnt take much of a strait road to make that up.

Considering the HP difference between the FZ6R and the R6 (2010 R1 is 122 HP), they have you 2 to 1 on that. That's a real butt kicking there! Thats almost what I had on my 1100 FJ!

Plus, the ONLY way you could make it up is by out cornering them. That's a game I just don't try to play. Better skills or not. That type of thinking is a sure way to put yourself off the road.

Ride at your own comfort and saftey leven and you can catch up at the new stopping point in my book.

Spunky99

Racetech springs front and rear changed a hula dancing bike into a real sport bike. Unless you have tried the bike with the spring upgrade, then you don't know what this bike is capable of. Put the slide rule away and upgrade the springs.

Then there is the fact that a R6R will pull away and leave the FZ6R in the dust. That is a fact of life that will never change.

Adding aftermarket exhaust and an upgraded ECR will add some HP to the bike but not enough to challenge the R6R but if you upgrade the suspension first, it will add a lot more fun to the ride with the added HP.

It is what it is...a great city traffic, low RPM puller. If you want a high RPM screaming demon that is not so good in city traffic then there are a lot of true sport bike choices for you.

Fogride

Thanks to owl daddy about the forks but I don't think I need them. The bike corners well but I don't drag pegs. I'm not all out anymore. I can make the bike flex on a smooth freeway. I can ride tight and I practice every time I go out. If the bike drifts 6 inches I stop it hard and now, and I put it back hard,fast and now. I do the same with lane changes and junk on the road. It keeps me alert and sharp. On this bike I get the flex when I do it, not enough to scare me or slow me down but it's there.it doesn't bother me any more, I learn and adapt to the bike. However, I don't want to go all out,dragging pegs on a S curve with my ability and this bike. I like this bike, it's fun and what I needed and expected. I wouldn't trade it for any other bike in this class. Thanks again for the fork info.

Mikester88

Ha. None of the answers I was looking for, but it's cool. I'm a good rider that's not what I mean. Maybe I shoulda asked a better question ha. What's the most we can do to get as much HP the fz6r could put out? And how big of a diff would a -1/+2 sprocket swap make?

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

Accident

seems like a dumb post
find me a r1/r6 supersport anything that i cant keep up with....
speed limit is typically 55..which isnt a problem

Mikester88

Exhaust, Intake, PC/Juice Box will probably get you into the high 70's maybe even into the 80's. IIRC we only get about 68HP to the wheel stock currently.
That's more of the answers I'm lookin for ha. Anyone think combining that with the -1/+2 sprocket would be sweet. Anyone done it and has a review?

Mikester88

seems like a dumb post
find me a r1/r6 supersport anything that i cant keep up with....
speed limit is typically 55..which isnt a problem
Dude....chill. I'm askin for help not put downs ok. If I wanna have a little fun sometimes that's me. Everyone else was happy to try to help out. That's what forums are for. Maybe u should go elsewhere

Accident

Dude....chill. I'm askin for help not put downs ok. If I wanna have a little fun sometimes that's me. Everyone else was happy to try to help out. That's what forums are for. Maybe u should go elsewhere
i'm confused
you're having problems keeping up with r6's withen the speed limits?

that is most likely a operator issue and not the bike