Ever hear of SSCD = ear/hearing problem

Pvee

SSCD - Superior Semicircular Canal Dehiscence.

I was diagnosed with this problem last week. Will have three more test including a CT scan in a couple weeks.

Just curious if anyone here has experienced this or had the corrective surgery.

If interested, you can google search it.
My symptoms are a mechanical rattle in my head with every step or vibration that I encounter plus a popping sound with each heart beat.
When I talk loud it sounds like I am talking through a harmonica.
No serious balance issue yet as some people experience.

The reason I mention it here is that it happened after a long spirited ride on my Motorcycle. It probably was going to happen anyway but that high speed vibration for around an hour or so, probably finished it off.

As soon as I came in the house after that ride, the first time I talked t was like talking through a harmonica or when kids we used to put wax paper against a comb and talk through it. That was two months ago and the problem has remained the same since.

The top of the Semicircular canal is normally attached to a thin piece of skull bone and when that deteriorates or breaks off, it leaves a little hole there and sound or pressure can enter from more than one direction and that area has a reflex response to that which doesn't happen wen it is supported normally.

If I am in a place with loud music, a heavy bass will make me want to get out of there asap.

I have ridden Motorcycles since 1962 but now I am concerned about riding even if I have it repaired.

This problem was only diagnosed and given a name in 1998 although it has been around for a long time I guess.

I will have to think long and hard about having the surgery. They have to enter your skull, push the brain up enough to do the repair and then put it all back together.
My condition is annoying, but not nearly as bad as many people experience.

I could probably live with it if I knew it would not get worse. I am in pretty good health so that would affect my decision.

lytehouse

Super Moderator
wow, that sounds scary. I'd be concerned with the balance issue too. I know all surgeries have risks, but what will happen if you leave it untreated?

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

xtina

This is an example of the importance of ear plugs. Sorry about your condition op. Hopefully its not permanent.

Pvee

Thanks for the input.
I have read a lot about sscd and even watched some surgery videos.

I started wearing ear plugs last year. A little late...lol

I have a pretty good idea that in my case it's a genetic issue.

Not going into it, but every issue I have is on my left side.

I'll avoid surgery if at all possible.

Pvee

A couple weeks ago I had the CAT scan and VEMP test that prove that I do have the SSCD problem.

The Motorcycle ride the day that this problem started was not really the cause of the problem, it probably exposed or facilitated the problem.

Probably a genetic issue. That little piece of bone that the Superior Semi Circular canal attaches to was probably too thin and finally just broke loose.

This leaves a hole in the semi circular canal and cause noise to enter there and causes various symptoms. I have the heart beat noise in that ear 24/7, and a rattling sound when I walk or am bumped etc. And a echo sound when I talk, at times.

I think I am going to go for the surgery repair. At my age I feel healthy and have been riding for 52 years or so and to put off the surgery till I am older might be a lot rougher on me.

I hooked up with a gentleman near me that had the surgery a month ago and he is very satisfied with the result and had little issues after the surgery. Only took Tylenol for a few days. Some people have more pain than that for a couple weeks or so.

Since they have to open my skull and support my brain to get to the place to patch, It isn't something to be taken lightly, but otherwise I will have this problem the rest of my life.

Wish me luck.. I'll decide after the Surgery if I am going to continue riding...!!

anson650

Pvee,
Glad to hear you are still around. The surgery sounds scary. I'll ask my sister to add you to her church's prayer list and I'll keep you on mine. Keep us posted.
Anson

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

Mew

This is an example of the importance of ear plugs. Sorry about your condition op. Hopefully its not permanent.
I use ear buds but probably destroy my hearing from the music being to loud :eek:. And as much as I complain about the snow and cold, those medical bills must be steep without healthcare :canada:... Xtina, where about in toronto do you live? I am on east end in Durham.

lytehouse

Super Moderator
Good thoughts and fingers crossed for you Pvee. I hope all goes well and you'll keep up updated on things.

Pvee

Followup and post op report

Thought I would mention this because so many people have not heard of this issue.
Basically due to a thin bone structure over the semi circular canal in each ear, that bone may deteriorate and the result is a hole in the top of the canal which lets sound enter your ear from inside your head.
My case was I could heart blood pulsing through there 24/7, a rattle sound when walking, reverberation when I talked, and could hear my eyeballs move when it was real quiet at night.
Surgery to repair this was last week.
They cut an incision behind my ear folded my ear forward, drilled in from behind the ear to the area of the semicircular canal, took a piece of cartilage from my ear, filled the canal and a patch over it where the bone used to be, with bone dust harvested from my own skull and mixed with bone glue of some sort.
Result is, all those noises I was hearing are gone, the site is healing very well.
I was off of pain meds that first day after surgery and feel fine.
Still have balance problems but that should go away within 3-4 weeks.
I feel very fortunate that the repair worked so well.

My Doctor and ENT didn't know about this medical condition but luckily I was referred to a Surgeon that did, and the CT scan and audio Vemp test verified the SSCD issue, and I tried to live with it but it was very aggravating and I pushed for the surgery.
For anyone who might think they have a related problem just search on SSCD articles and the SSCD forum on Facebook....... Pete

Superzoom

Glad to hear the surgery was a success!

So if you hadn't been a motorcycle rider, do you think the detachment wouldn't have happened, or was it going to happen sooner or later?

If it was caused by motorcycling, was it just the loudness vibrating your canal?

Pvee

Pretty sure it would have happened anyway. That wild ride I did that day may or may have not had anything to do with it, but I'm glad it is fixed.

Pete