End of driveway=dump bike with 17 miles on it

Pidge

Yes, I'm a noob. Finally went out for my first ride today that went beyond around the block. I thought I had mastered going over the bump at the end of the driveway but I somehow managed to go too slow and ended up slowly tipping over the bike.

Yea, I know, pretty lame that I dumped the bike that way. But, on the bright side, the odometer made it to 82 miles today and both the bike and I are in one piece. Looking forward to becoming a pro on this thing, but that may take several thousand miles at the rate I'm going!

gearhead

That totally sucks. Not much damage, I hope. At least you're ready to get back on it and succeed. Riding bikes is sooo much fun, it's something I look forward to everyday. Good luck!

Pidge

Thanks! Yea, I hope to make it to my comfort zone very soon. I have some good friends who are helping me get there.

The damage is minimal, just a couple of scrapes. Guess I would have done it at some point but I was very disappointed that I dropped it so early.

Blue-Sun

Elite Member

Detrich

Yah, I guess it's an unavoidable part of learning process... =(

Sad to say that it happened to me too in a parking structure last week. An old lady was flying around the turns too fast & too wide going up the ramps. (Guess not all old ppl drive slow.). Anyhow, I thought i was going to get side swiped and got spooked. So, I did a slow speed tip to the left too =(. Some minor scratches to my left mirror & left slider etc. Objectivrly, not very noticeable damage though... Still hurts, since my bike is new. But what can I say. We are not seen by drivers- not on the road & not in parking structures. Sigh

blackie65

I see you are in Denver. I spent most of my life working in
Denver and living in Littleton. Moved to Florida after retirement in 1994. Love the year round rideing. Take the Motorcycle Safety Course, you will learn more and safely than being self taught. Also it will save a bunch on Insurance.
What ever you do don't try to stay up with more experinced riders. It is a serious error that can lead to a lot of pain and expense or worse.

Superfly

I see you are in Denver. I spent most of my life working in
Denver and living in Littleton. Moved to Florida after retirement in 1994. Love the year round rideing. Take the Motorcycle Safety Course, you will learn more and safely than being self taught. Also it will save a bunch on Insurance.
What ever you do don't try to stay up with more experinced riders. It is a serious error that can lead to a lot of pain and expense or worse.
+1 take a motorcycle safety course. I saw 4 laydowns in one day at my course. you get to beat on their bikes while learning. trust me its a lot cheaper than trashing your ride. plus you will actually learn how to ride correctly...listening to your friends can give you some bad tips depending on how bright your crowd is...i just heard "dont use the front brake you might crash" :confused:

dtrey28

I took the ABATE class here in Denver. I think it was $50 cheaper than some of the other classes. It was a long two days but if you want to get more comfortable. Plus its probably is worth it for the insurance savings alone

Pidge

Planning on getting some frame sliders next week. I took the Abate class last week and got my license however, I still ended up tipping over the bike. Just wish that I had got the frame sliders first!

micigniter

KEEP THEM HANDLEBARS STRAIGHT when driving over obstacles, accelerate slightly,lighten the front end. This includes bumbs in driveways.

Rat

Stay cool, Pidge.
No big deal. Wear your gear and ride safely.
From my experience - I also "gently" dropped bike when I was training U-turn for IL M driver license. Applied front brake when was in middle of the turn, hehe...

Continue training and you will be riding confident more soon than you expect. And will get a lot of fun of course, believe me. :)
When it happen - continue training and don't think you are one of hell rider, because that could cause troubles. :)

Avoid highways, ride on empty roads without cars, train turns, train braking, countersteering (carefully with last one, don't fall :))

Carefully read at least those books below:
"Twist of the Wrist" (Keith Code) - to improve your riding skills.
"Street Strategies" (David L.Hough) - to understand what you can expect on the road.

If you decided to ride without a helmet etc - review bike crashes on youtube. Works for me.... ;)

Last edited: