do your handlbars touch the tank when...

ngengs

Hi all,

this question is for those who adjusted their handlebars (pulled towards rider) for a lower position:

Does the end of either handlebars touch the tank when the you make a slow enough turn? I looked at a used 6r for sale and I asked the owner if he adjusted it and he said no. However, he readily showed me how to do it. Then when I test rode it (only on his street, no major roads) and made a u turn to go back to his house, my thumb got caught between the grip and the tank. Then when I stopped the bike, I tried to turn the handlebars all the way both ways and it touched the tank before completing the "turn".

Is this an issue to anyone at higher speeds? Thanks in advance.

ajskillz13

It's an easy adjustment to move them up a bit. I rolled mine down, but only enough to where my fingers will hit at full lock, but the grips will not. It's all preference to you where you want them. They are easily adjustable.

FZ6R_Mike

I don't see how it would be an issue at higher speeds? The faster u go the less the wheel is turned. I have drag bars with a 3.5" pullback and they don't even touch the tank at full lock.

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

flyingminno

At higher speeds you barely move the bars to turn, so its not an issue. However I adjusted mine to where when i fully turn the bars to where they leave just enough gap between the end and the tank for my fingers.

RooKie

I tried rolling back my handlebars to where they were about half an inch from the tank at full lock, but couldn't get used to my turn signals being so low so I switched back. I tried taking the controls apart but realized they have small holes in the handlebars so they're not very adjustable... at all. Is any one else bothered by this or did you guys find a fix to make it more ergonomic?

KeysRider3

I repositioned my bars so that I can still get my fingers around the grips and still have a little daylight between them and the tank. Although the only time my bars are at the extremes are when I'm rolling it to move it, I maintain the space to avoid a metal-to-metal tank slap should the bike go down.

Reikatty

I have fz1 bars on mine and they are much lower than the fz6r's bars, but even at full lock they clear... as far as the holes go, I just cut off the little pegs and put the controls on the bars. Not an issue at all.

ngengs

Thanks to all of you. So, I was right when I first got
on the bike. It felt lower than the bike I sat on at the dealer. No reason for him hide that adjustment on the bike. He said that the bike was never dropped but there were scratches at the end of the right handlebar and some on the faiting. No more used Fz6r for me, will buy a new one!

THANKS AGAIN TO ALL!