Crankshaft Position Sensor location??

tho9504

Hello, i am new to this forum and really wanted some help. I just purchased a 2012 FZ6R. i wanted to install a gear indicator (Healtech GiPro X y-01). I am so confused with the wiring. i think i am ok with the +12v connection and the speed sensor (3 pole under the gas tank). My confusion/problem is where the Crankshadt Position sensor is? Does anyone have a picture of it? i see so many different connectors, i dont want to take any risk. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

tho9504

Thanks for the reply.. I will check it out once i get home from work. For the +12v wire, i was actually going to tap one of the wires from my flush mounted turn signal attached to my left fairing. I am hoping that has power all the time when ignition is turned on and not only when i use the turn signals. The speed sensor i believe is plug and play with the GiPro x. I will lift up the tank today and look for it again with the right side of the fairing removed. Does the connector have a specific color/shape/prong or is it similiar to all the other connectors there? i tried to look in the service manual but they give you a drawn diagram which is not much helpful for me. I dont know how to read wiring diagrams. i wish they supplied a actual picture on the manual like they do for car service manuals.

Just curious, Is the wire more visible/reachable near the crank side on the right side of the bike, without lifting the tank?

Thanks for all your help...

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

tho9504

Thanks for quick response. Do you have the GiPro X GPX Y-01 setup? There seems to be a harness to connect the speed sensor, so no need to wiretap the speed sensor. Per instruction this what it says:

1) Locate the Speed Sensor coupler.
The Speed Sensor is usually located on the top of the gearbox and reads the
revolution of the countershaft.

2) After separating the Speed Sensor coupler, plug in both the male and female
3-pole GIpro harness connectors. Make sure the connectors are fully seated.

3)Find the 2-pole natural (or black) color plug of the Crankshaft position sensor
(Pickup coil). It has two wires coming from the crankcase: one is Gray, the other is
usually Black/Blue - check the colors at both sides of the plug (if in doubt, do a
temporary connection e.g. by using a thin needle to backprobe the connector pin).
The 2-pole connector is usually under the fuel tank

4) Connect the GIpro Black/Green wire to the Gray wire, using the Red wire tap
connector supplied.

tho9504

OK, so i finally took off the right side fairings and took some pics. Can you confirm if this is the camshaft sensor?

Is this the crankshaft? I saw this wire/sensor attached to it - circled in red

Attachments

tho9504

I saw a connector (I am hoping it's the crankshaft sensor) after removing the right side fairings. it's was bundled along with couple other connectors all inside a rubber boot. after looking at the connector, one of the connectors have a dark grey and light gray wire on one side trailing from the crankshaft. on the other side of the sensor are "grey wire with gold dot" and a "black wire with gold dot and blue strip". If this is the crankshaft sensor, do I wiretap the grey wire with the gold dot on the other side of the sensor or the side where the wires came from (crankshaft) which is light grey and dark grey wires.

Attachments

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

tho9504

Thanks Scott for all your help. I guess the "Light Grey" wire you mentioned is the one from the crankcase going to the connector which has "light grey" and "dark grey" wires going into the sensor connector. I will tap the light grey wire. Thanks for all your help...

Attachments

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

tho9504

OK, this could be a dumb question but I am a little concerned, so i'll ask. The crankshaft sensor and a couple of other connectors are bundled inside a rubber casing. But that rubber is resting on top of engine metal piece. My concern is when I engine is running, wouldn't that burn the wires? Is this how your setup is also? The metal piece it's resting on is right behind the oil drain plug in the middle of the bike. I attached a picture to show what I am talking about. please tell me that metal piece is really some heat shield. ... the last thing I want is toasting up all the wires that are tucked inside that rubber casing.

Attachments

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

tho9504

Thanks Scott for all you help. Just for my peace of mind, i think i am going to get some heatshield tape from Amazon and wrap around the connector wires and then tuck them in the rubber boot.

I ordered the clutch/brake lever also which should arrive tomorrow. I just picked up the bike last saturday and i had to ride it on the highway for 40 minutes. i moved up from a CBR250R so i need some time to get used to the FZ6R clutch which i felt engaged all the way at the end of the release. i am going to change the levers out with adjustable levers.