Chain Clatter?

O-turn

Partier
Is this normal? Mine is noticeable, but not overly loud, This is my first bike so I dont know whats what yet...

B

blitzcraig

if it sounds like it's whapping around, then the chain is too loose. it also means you are prob in a higher gear than you should be. i'd check the slack (in the manual, and on here in a bunch of places) and keep the revs up.

L

LERecords

are you sure its the chain and not the valve chatter.. yamaha's seem to have this chatter.. not a problem, just a little anoying.. good luck.. oh and if it is the chain, have you lubed it up?? mnight help...

L

LERecords

if it sounds like it's whapping around, then the chain is too loose. it also means you are prob in a higher gear than you should be. i'd check the slack (in the manual, and on here in a bunch of places) and keep the revs up.
how does "the chain is loose" and "in a higher gear than you should be" fit together.. its all static, the chain doesnt get any longer or shorter from changing gears... :)

O-turn

Partier
are you sure its the chain and not the valve chatter.. yamaha's seem to have this chatter.. not a problem, just a little anoying.. good luck.. oh and if it is the chain, have you lubed it up?? mnight help...
I have 500 miles on the bike, Im going to lube it up and change the oil at 600 miles, hopefully that takes care of it

MNDZA

how does "the chain is loose" and "in a higher gear than you should be" fit together.. its all static, the chain doesnt get any longer or shorter from changing gears... :)
Yeah I'm curious about that too...any truth to it?

L

LERecords

I have 500 miles on the bike, Im going to lube it up and change the oil at 600 miles, hopefully that takes care of it

you can lube the chain whenever.. actually they recommend every 500 miles or after every wash/driving in the rain... i would just throw some lube on it and see if it helps.. if not, its probably the valves.. just take it to a dealer and see what they say.. wont cost anythign to just have the guy/girl take a look at it... good luck

O-turn

Partier
you can lube the chain whenever.. actually they recommend every 500 miles or after every wash/driving in the rain... i would just throw some lube on it and see if it helps.. if not, its probably the valves.. just take it to a dealer and see what they say.. wont cost anythign to just have the guy/girl take a look at it... good luck

What lube would you reccomend?

L

LERecords

any that is made for motorcycles... i use this stuff from cycle gear called chain wax.. dunno who the manufacture is, but it seems to work good... anythign from a cycle shop.. oh and dont use wd-40 or it'll help kill the chain early.. good luck man :)

O-turn

Partier
any that is made for motorcycles... i use this stuff from cycle gear called chain wax.. dunno who the manufacture is, but it seems to work good... anythign from a cycle shop.. oh and dont use wd-40 or it'll help kill the chain early.. good luck man :)
Thanks alot!

S

sideslider

I had this issue (way more miles on mine though) and regardless of how I adjusted the chain it would not stop. I finally replaced the chain and both sprockets and the noise is gone - if your's is new im sure it's either a normal sound or the chain is loose as others have said.

nlpyle

So if you are hearing that valve chatter, this is normal? I do not notice any noise until I am riding next to a gaurd rail or somewhere where I am getting a echo back. My runs great and I have no issue but it is just a noise I have noticed.

cbzdel

So if you are hearing that valve chatter, this is normal? I do not notice any noise until I am riding next to a gaurd rail or somewhere where I am getting a echo back. My runs great and I have no issue but it is just a noise I have noticed.
x2 I got alot of noise if I am riding in a tunnel or next to a solid object..

Or even if I swing out my knees to air out my... yeah haha! then I can hear the noise as well.. But other then that its quiet...

Verranth

x2 I got alot of noise if I am riding in a tunnel or next to a solid object..

Or even if I swing out my knees ...then I can hear the noise as well.. But other then that its quiet...
Let me fix your post for you :p

So gross :rof: but yeah, I think we all do that.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, I like to air it out as well. Especially when the temps are near 100 and the humidity is over 80%. It can get pretty sticky when in full gear. LOL :rof:

But yes, when you move your left leg out, you can really hear the chain.

cbzdel

hey we are a majority of male adults here, we have all been though it haha..

full gear, heavy traffic, 200+ degree engine between your legs plus high outside temps can make it very unpleasant hah!