Buddy looking for 1st bike (Practice Bike)

Hey Guys and Gals,
My buddy is looking for a bike to learn on. Yes, its the same buddy of mine who dropped my bike learning his U-Turns. He's very adamant on picking up the new '13 Honda 500 (not sure whether its the R or F Model). Since he's such a new rider, I have suggested he purchase something used that he may practice on before he commits to a new bike. I've suggested used bikes on Craigslist that are priced in the low to mid 2k range. Here's my plan, I offered to front him 800 bones if he can find a bike within that price range. However, when he's done learning on the bike he will sell it to me for half the difference (unless he doesn't ever damage it which I will only deduct the 330 for the fairing he damaged on my bike) to me so I may teach my girlfriend to ride and have an extra bike for my buddy to ride when we go out. So far, I got him to narrow down to one bike Suzuki 1995 GS500 Clean and Low on miles (He's into the cafe/naked style bikes) We're currently scheduled to view this bike this Saturday unless something better shows up. Reschearch http://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycles/1995/Suzuki/GS500ES-487cc/Values shows the bike isn't worth much, even though its in San Diego. I'll probably offer him 1500 if everything is in order, final decision is up to my buddy though.

I want to hear everyone's thoughts on this. What would you suggest for a new rider who is 5'8" and weighs around 165lbs (Vietnamese guy).

Last edited:

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

latony007

I kinda agree with nismos, a 250 would be a great learner bike, you can get one a lot newer and would also work out perfect for your girl.

hellboy7

Ninja 250 is pretty hard to beat. I guess that bike got a little bit more power but I still would go with a ninja just for riding dynamics.

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

Fizzer6R

he already dropped 1 bike, he very well may again. I always recommend people starting out in the dirt 1st. he can get a cheap dirt bike for $1k, learn for a month or so and sell it for the same amount. or are there any friends/family that may already have a dirt bike he can try/rent?

maybe I'm confused, if he's trying to get a new bike, why would you lend him $? if he disregards your advice in getting used and ends up new, please do not lend him any $, it's a high % to ruin a friendship. he will prob. dump a new bike, scratch it all up and who knows what then

and why did he drop yours learning U-Turns, is it a balance thing, or is he not good w/a clutch yet? make sure he drags the back break when going slow and doing skills like this, it helps a great deal in controlling speed & balance. is he short/does he tippy toe, is yours too heavy for him to handle?

he already dropped 1 bike, he very well may again. I always recommend people starting out in the dirt 1st. he can get a cheap dirt bike for $1k, learn for a month or so and sell it for the same amount. or are there any friends/family that may already have a dirt bike he can try/rent?

maybe I'm confused, if he's trying to get a new bike, why would you lend him $? if he disregards your advice in getting used and ends up new, please do not lend him any $, it's a high % to ruin a friendship. he will prob. dump a new bike, scratch it all up and who knows what then

and why did he drop yours learning U-Turns, is it a balance thing, or is he not good w/a clutch yet? make sure he drags the back break when going slow and doing skills like this, it helps a great deal in controlling speed & balance. is he short/does he tippy toe, is yours too heavy for him to handle?
It was both, too short (he told me he's actually 5'4") and the bike was a bit heavy for him. Also, a lack of solid experience. He took those motorcycle courses that waives the dmv test. I thought he could handle it though, that was probably my height when I learned on a cruiser @ 14. It all comes down to confidence though, something I've been trying to drill into his head. Guy has the confidence to work on 500kv substations out in Imperial Valley. If only he could put it in riding though. Yeah, offering money might have been me being too nice again. Luckily, he declined so I don't feel bad anymore :)

Last edited:
I gotta disagree with all you guys. I liked my naked GS500 way more than any 250 I've ever been on. My first bike was a 91 GS500. The GS500 is a full size bike so your knees aren't in your armpits, you can stretch your legs. It handles well and you don't have to redline it to not get run over by a Corolla. I'll say thrashing my wife's 250 on backroads is a hell of a lot of fun, but as a do-everything, I think the GS is the better choice. I think the power delivery on the GS makes it even easier to ride than a Ninja 250, and with more than twice the power, you won't get bored as quickly.

Got my GS for a grand, got 50-60 miles per gallon, and insurance was about $80 for the whole year. Ok guys, getting off my soapbox now......

Most old GS are beat to hell, but that one looks good. WAY overpriced if you ask me. Even in good shape it's a thousand dollar bike. Maybe go up to $1500 but a cent more would be robbery.
You are on the same page I was on. Looking at the bike, I was already going to offer him 1500. We went out to test ride it on Saturday, after seeing it though I would've offered less. I get that he only had 7k on the motor, but he modded the shit out of the bike. He repainted the bike (original color was purple when I went to look into the tank for rust, which there was). He lowered the bike, which was good for my buddies height (almost had his feet flat on the ground). Bike had some corrosion on the frame, forks (w/pitting), and inside the tank (no bueno). Took it out for a test ride, funniest thing ever since I'm just under 200 lbs and 6' even. I felt like I was on a pocket bike. Motor ran good though, good acceleration, good compression. Brakes needed to be changed and the forks for sure had to be replaced. I was shocked when the guy wouldn't budge on the price though. He dropped it to 2200, even after I pointed out all the issues. Told him we would think about it. My buddy took it for a spin and I shit you not, we thought he was going to wreck. Luckily, he grabbed the clutch to avoid the bike getting away from him. I think buying a dirt bike may be something to look into though, they are cheaper and for him, falling in the dirt would be way better than the freeway.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member