Brake Light Wire Color-to-polarity

F

fizz_off

All,
I haven't found an answer anywhere (not even in the FZ6 service manual - at least not that I could identify) yet, so thought I'd go to the real FZ6 gurus on here :thumbup: :bow:

I am connecting up a Givi G52 top case which has an integrated brake light. The top case comes with instructions and all the necessary wiring clamps (etc...). The instructions say to connect/clamp/splice the "positive" wire to the "positive" wire of the top case's brake light wire. The question is which wire connecting to the brake light is "positive"? There are 3 wires on the FZ6's brake light - blue, white and black, with the black looking like it's ground; there are 2 wires coming from the brake light of the top case - blue and black.

My guess is to match up the colors but don't want to risk damaging the wires by removing them from the clamp if they're not matched up correctly; kind of a "one shot connection" unfortunately. I'm not sure how much damage I would cause to the wires by removing them from the clamp/splice once it's locked in/on, so I want to get it right the first time.

Thanks in advance!

Paul
p.s. And yes, pictures will be forthcoming once things are connected and the brake lights work (again) :steve:...PMS

S

scoobydrvr

A multimeter will be your best friend in this instance. Like you suggested, the black wire is most likely the ground. The other two are the hot wires for the running light and the brake light. The best thing you can do is back probe the socket for your stock brake light with the bike on. Stick the negative lead for your meter in the socket with the black lead and then probe the back side of the other two wires. With the brakes released, one wire should show 0V and the other should show something like 12V. If you read -12V, then the leads are connected backwards. I hope this helps and isn't too vauge...

J

Jim Karam

It depends on whether you want the lights functioning as a tail light or as a brake light. I have mine set as the latter, since I mainly want them to see me when I'm stopping. Anyway, blue appears to be the tail light, and white is the brake light according to these wiring diagrams from a 2004 service manual. Actually, these show yellow for the brake light, but I'm guessing they stayed consistent on the function of the blue wire. And, yes, black is invariably ground.

Attachments

S

scoobydrvr

Got me curious so I went to check it out for ya. The blue wire is for the running light. It has a constant 12V going to it. The white (or in my case yellow) is the actual brake light, only getting power when the brake is applied. This will be the one you want to tap into if the case has only a brake light (no running light).

F

fizz_off

Got me curious so I went to check it out for ya. The blue wire is for the running light. It has a constant 12V going to it. The white (or in my case yellow) is the actual brake light, only getting power when the brake is applied. This will be the one you want to tap into if the case has only a brake light (no running light).
Ya know, I COMPLETELY forgot that that 1 light had 2 uses - running and brake. Good thing I asked since I wanted the brake light functionality and not the running light. Looks like "clamp splicing" white-to-blue is the answer (for me). So the instructions could probably be better written to say, "find the wire for the BRAKE light..." instead of "the positive (+) wire", since both the blue and white are "positive" (duhhh).

Thx - you d'man!

Pics coming once I hook things up tomorrow and figure out how to use my new camera :D

PMS

F

fizz_off

Hi Fizz_off

I hope this helps

FZ6-ZN
Those are exactly the diagrams I was given when I dropped in to the local Yamaha shop a minutes prior to posting my question...about all I can say is, them are purrrty colors :D The posts from "scoobydrvr" and "Jim Karam" hit the spot though.

Thx anyway.

MNDZA

Wrong forum everyone.