Best Handling Mod for $0

EsrTek

My FZR has always felt a bit heavier to turn than my old ninja 250.
Always figured it was the fact it was a 600 vs a 250.

However, I can tell you that is not the case a simple 5 min adjustment and this bike is so flickable it feels like a completely different bike. All heaviness I felt is now GONE.

All I simply did was adjust the handlebars to make it a bit more comfy for me on long rides (was getting pinched nerve between my shoulder blades).
I brought them towards me to the lowest point where the bars BARELY do not hit the tank.

I also like the way it looks now, to me it looks a bit sportier....without further ado... some pics

Sportier look:

How close to tank they get:

While I was at it.. I Added some extra vibration absorption:

Close Up:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

MaximumHP

How does this change the riding position, more upright since the bars are closer, or more agressive since the bars are lower?

93cc

I flipped the risers so the bar moved forward and I rolled handle bar towards me... after two rides I rolled the bars back to their normal position but left the bars in the more forward position.

when the bars were rolled down it REALLY bothered my wrist and hands and before you ask yes I did adjust the controls

EsrTek

Some of us went with different bars. Remove those foam... not save at all!
No job right now, so can't put anymore $ into this...

Why isn't the foam safe?
I was told to do it, so my cruise control works better and doesn't lose speed gradually from the vibrations. I knew I heard of others doing it in past when it was suggested to me, so figured yeah why not.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

EsrTek

How does this change the riding position, more upright since the bars are closer, or more agressive since the bars are lower?
More aggressive and not so upright, but not near as low as a SS..however, handling reminds me of a SS w/o the discomfort.

Is the way they are in this picture at the top the more forward position?
Not quite sure what your asking... but I'll take a SWAG.
My risers in pics are stock positioning, I only adjust the bars toward rider and adjusted clutch and brake levers. (clutch had to be move in towards center of bar a slight bit to clear the plastics of the controls).

Last edited:

JSP

Super Moderator
I got another little freebie for handling for ya... Lower the front end by dropping the triple (raising the forks out) by about 5-10mm. Will turn in much nicer. Very easy to do, but best with a helping hand. Makes a pretty big difference.

Such like this.

bloodypulp

I got another little freebie for handling for ya... Lower the front end by dropping the triple (raising the forks out) by about 5-10mm. Will turn in much nicer. Very easy to do, but best with a helping hand. Makes a pretty big difference.

Such like this.

Changed bar angle 3 mos. ago feels much better to me. I will drop front end today and see how it feels

bmw675

Why isn't the foam safe?
IMHO:
1. It doesn't allow it to securely mounted.
2. Over time, the foam will break down, and can cause extreme slop in the bar.

I personally don't like that idea, and wouldn't risk it.

JSP

Super Moderator
Just be very careful loosening them all. Do not do all at once or the front will drop completely. Center stand makes it a breeze to do. Loosen the bottom clamps and then VERY gently loosen the top while being ready to tighten up. If done gently, they will very gently slide up for ya. I was able to do one side at a time little tiny bits each side until where I wanted them. Bust out the ruler to make sure they are even on both sides.

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

bmw675

Raising the forks in the triple tree will help with your turn in as others have stated. The negative to doing this is a more unstable feeling in the corner. There is always a give and take to every adjustment. I'd try going a little at a time. 5mm is a significant change.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member