Beginning Rider Research

Alex6

... If you're one of those folks I see on Dumbest Stuff on Wheels, who has a crowd of 5 assisting with the first time on an 80cc trail bike and still manage to ride straight in to a fence (why do these people always point the noob rider directly at a fence?) ...
so the noob will not ride too far and they'll have to spend the rest of the day searching for him in the woods

FZ6Rob85

so the noob will not ride too far and they'll have to spend the rest of the day searching for him in the woods
Better to search for your friend in the woods than have him get impaled rolling through a picket fence.

Someone should make a new rider specific indoor/ outdoor course with multiple traction surfaces, banked and heavily padded walls, special areas for turning and maneuvering, throttle control and take-offs, high visibility & low visibility, with all indoor areas specially ventilated to avoid accumulation of exhaust gases and fluid vapors. No searching for friends in the woods, no crazy cagers trying to run you down, no picket fences waiting to skewer your spleen, just people practicing to improve the varying levels of riding skills they may have.

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

FZ6Rob85

I want to thank everyone who replied to this post. Your prior experience and knowledge will help me immensely in my future purchase decision, and I'm sure it will help many other current members and guests to this forum as well. There is already a wealth of information here, this forum and its members have done a great job of amassing this information and helping to encourage and welcome new riders like myself. Thank you!:thumbup:

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

FZ6Rob85

As far as the EX500 goes, I believe they actually discontinued it, so now Kawasaki offers the Ninja 250 and 650, or the Versys for beginners.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member
Last edited:

FZ6Rob85

Yeah, NE Ohio traffic pales in comparison to LA traffic. Not even close. I would say that the average intelligence of drivers here is also less, but I've never been to LA.

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member
Last edited:

FZ6Rob85

The GSX-500F is long gone. There was a GSX-650F until a few years ago, which was mostly just a restyled Bandit.

Kawasaki has got a 400 outside the US. Looks a lot like the current 650. They're moving toward 250-400-650-1000 as their lineup for "standard" ergo bikes outside the US. For now we have only 250-650-1000 and of course miss out on some of the naked versions they sell elsewhere.

Sounds like the 400 would make a great beginner bike for bigger guys. It's existence is partially driven by the need for a bike that meets Euro and Aussie "beginner" bike limits without artificial restriction, which I'm guessing is also part of the reason they don't feel the need to sell it here.

Ninja 400R - Street/touring - Model 2012 - Canadian Kawasaki Motors Inc.
There are plenty of betweener bikes still out there on the used market, quite a few Suzuki and Kawi 500's, as well as Honda CB 350, 450 and 550's. Many of them are still quite popular, especially with the resurgence of the Cafe Racer style. I've seen a few heavily modded Cafe's based on Kawi, Yamaha, and Honda chassis here in NE Ohio.

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

arse

big advocate of the gs500 for new riders. mine never let me down.