Beginning Rider Research

FZ6Rob85

I had my mind dead set on the FZ6R, and have been saving up for a used 6R for the last few months, reaching 50% of my financial goal for the purchase of bike and necessary gear. I thought that a FZ6R with it's more mild state of tune, ideal ergonomics, and nimble handling would be a great first bike. After further research though I have decided to take my vanity out of the equation and stick with a sub-500 cc bike as my first ride. After doing the research, there was just too much back and forth from different people about the FZ6R's qualities as a beginner bike. Many reviews, comparisons, and articles I have read peg the 6R as a beginner bike, no questions asked, yet others claim that the R6 derived inline four is still far too big a bike for a novice such as myself. Even on this forum there seems to be some dissension as to whether or not the 6R is an ideal bike for beginners. I still hope to graduate to an FZ6R once I have some experience under my belt, but for now I believe the best option for me is to find an inexpensive, used, sub-500 cc bike that will be a little more forgiving both on the road and on the wallet. I will still be participating in this forum because of the wealth of knowledge and experience that many of the members have to offer (not to mention that some of the posts are just flat out hilarious). I have included some of the reading that helped me come to my decision below for others to reference.

NEW RIDERS PLEASE READ THIS - updated - Sport Bike Forums Page1 at Sport Rider Magazine

The Exquisite Agony: Buying Your First Motorcycle - How to Buy a Motorcycle - Epinions.com

Motorcycle Beginner: Buying Your First Motorcycle

JSP

Super Moderator
It really just depends... I have seen people start on R1's for their first bikes! I started on a 250 Rebel. I do not regret it but I do think I could have done fine on the 6R. Many here started on the 6R. Men and Female. Its just all in how you handle it.

Only issue I see with the 6R is it is a bit heavy for a new rider. Not much but its noticeable. Slow speed turns, stops, etc is where most people get in trouble and drop it.

The power you really do not need to worry about. It is your wrist you need to worry about. The 6R is great in that it can be as tame as you want it, but will get up and go pretty dang fast when you want it to as well.

I would have hated to start on my R6 as a first bike. Slow speed turns would have kicked my butt. The 6R has a great seating position with good handlebars so you can take those tasks much easier.

I think if you have any riding experience at all and have taken the MC course you will have no issues if you just take it easy at first.

BUT, if you want to get a smaller bike, by all means go for it. Find a used 250-500 ninja or something and really get a feel for how it all works. Ride it for a year and you can dang near sell them again for what you paid for it. Tons of people looking for those smaller starting bikes. :thumbup:

Go sit on a few of each and the 6R. Stand them upright and feel the weight. See how comfy you are on them.

Last edited:

Invader Jim

Do you like to ride? Do you have the time to ride? It never ceases to amaze me how many people buy a brand new bike as a first time rider and then discover they don't have the desire to ride, they don't enjoy riding like they thought they would, and/or never find the time to ride. Look at craigslist for many examples of nearly new motorcycles with low miles.

My advice for brand new riders is to buy used and buy small. (also, take the MSF beginner rider course) Many used motorcycles don't depreciate in a year so buy cheap and sell/upgrade in a year if you really like riding. Ride a new motorcycle off the lot and if you paid full sticker you just lost at least a thousand or two in depreciation and sales tax.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Enjarin

Elite Member

Alex6

I had the same issue. Half the people I know that ride saying anything over 250cc was too much for a newb and the other half telling me I would get "bored" with anything less than 500cc in no time. Fortunately, people on this forum have great advice. In the end after much research I chose the FZ6R, thinking of it as a long term choice. It was the compromise between the rational used 250cc purchase and what I considered to be the completely irrational gixxer, zx, liter bike, supersport etc. etc. purchase. I wanted to commute but also have a bike that would challenge me later on for twisties and other stuff when my skills get there. So far I have no buyer's remorse of any kind. And that's my story.

Everyone is different, going with what's best for you is the only choice to make. Ride to have fun and ride safe. The rest is commentary. You can always upgrade or might find you're totally happy with what you get.
I've seen riders on Ninja 250 successfuly challenge the riders on 600CC SS bikes in the twisties.
and a quote: "it is more fun to ride the slow bike fast then to ride the fast bike slow".

BKP

I have every respect for your decision to go sub-500. Caution and a measured approach trumps over-anxiousness and ego every time! And, most importantly, it's a matter of what *you* are comfortable with.

When you begin riding, even a 250cc will seem, and feel, a bit intimidating -- no doubt about it. However, you *will* realize that intimidation does dissipate relatively quickly, with riding experience -- in fact, so much so, that the problem often becomes complacency and over-confidence.

The first article you cite, which I agree with, really applies to supersports, such as the R6, R1, YZF, CBRs, etc. as opposed to a "de-tuned sport bike," such as the Yami FZ6R, or Ninja 650R, which although 600 and 650cc bikes, respectively, have a very linear power band, less aggressive ergos, more forgiving nature, and are more of a sport dressed-up 'standard,' with great sport-touring aspects, then true "sport racers." That's why I bought the 6R, which is *exactly* what I wanted, as opposed to a SS that can do 180mph, scream like a banshee, and have me feeling like a pretzel in a yoga class in 60 minutes (I'm not 20 years old, any longer... at least not chronologically).

The second article actually endorses a bike such as our 6R's as a good entry bike.

The third article also endorses bikes such as the FZ6R (the editor uses the defunct Suzuki SV-650 as an example, which in power band, tuning, etc. is very similar to the 6R). That article also warns beginners away from Inline 4's such as the CBR600. However, even though our 6R is also an I4, its gearing, its compression, its tuning, its mapping, is paradoxically opposed to the CBR600. Totally different bike, ride, feel, power band, handling... An 833cc Harley Sportster will handle much more easily, and be much more forgiving than a Honda CBR600. It's not just cc's.

All that being said, if I had any reservations about the 6R as a starter bike, it would be its weight, and the fact that its top-heavy. I agree completely with jspansel on this. For a new rider, it can be initially tough in slow tight turns, and stops with any incline, or left/right camber in the road. However, barring that, it handles just as easily as a Ninja 250 or CBR250r (both great bikes, and I spent some time on the CBR).

Bottom line... follow your gut. Absolutely nothing wrong with a smaller bike for a short time to get your 2-wheel legs on... However, keep in mind, in some ways, a smaller bike can represent a handicap when it comes to merging, passing, or getting you out of a potential situation, in the same expediency as something like an FZ6R. If you're good with understanding the down-side of a smaller bike, go for it...

Good luck, and ride safe...

Last edited:

FZ6Rob85

Do you like to ride? Do you have the time to ride? It never ceases to amaze me how many people buy a brand new bike as a first time rider and then discover they don't have the desire to ride, they don't enjoy riding like they thought they would, and/or never find the time to ride. Look at craigslist for many examples of nearly new motorcycles with low miles.

My advice for brand new riders is to buy used and buy small. (also, take the MSF beginner rider course) Many used motorcycles don't depreciate in a year so buy cheap and sell/upgrade in a year if you really like riding. Ride a new motorcycle off the lot and if you paid full sticker you just lost at least a thousand or two in depreciation and sales tax.
I have little to no street riding experience, but I have wanted to ride since I was a teenager. I am taking the Ohio MSF course September 13, 15,16, after which I will be looking to make my purchase. I am looking to use my bike to commute during spring, summer and fall, and to also have some fun on the weekends. No matter what bike I get, I will be purchasing used.

I think it's a smart choice. You can get yourself a nice used Ninjette, ride it for few months and sell it back for the same price you payed... then get yourself a nice 6R. Or get a 6R right away... not like it's a evil bike to ride. If you did your course and had no problem with your balance you will be fine.

What's your height and weight? If you're bid enough to handle it you will be alright.
Marthy, my weight is not so much the problem, I am a muscular 190 pounds (I'm no bodybuilder or anything but I do work out), but rather my height. I am 5'8" with a 32" inseam, also one of the reasons I was attracted to the 6R, the lower seat height.

RooKie

6R is my first bike. Never rode anything before that except for the MC course, which I highly recommend to any new rider.

Like jspansel said, the 6R is a bit heavy for new riders and for me it felt even heavier and taller than it really is due to the intimidation factor. Yes, I was scared to ride, but with daily practice you'll start to gain confidence in yourself and your motorcycle's abilities... then suddenly, the bike will feel lighter, and your foot placement when stopped will become solid.

As far as going for a 250cc... I've met a few people that have started out with 250's and they don't last a full year before getting tired of it and want at least a 600cc.

After all this I would say... get a USED 6R and make sure you have a solid set of frame sliders... hopefully you wont need them... but most of us have at one point or another.

Happy riding!

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Spunky99

When I was only 18 years old many centuries ago I had a 1976 CB750 Honda factory road racer that was made street legal due to lenient CA laws back then. My buddy who had never ridden any bike before decided he was going to buy a bike and he bought a CB750 Honda as a first bike. He was very short and had to lean over pretty far on one leg at a stop and no way could he get his tippy toes of both feet on the ground at the same time. He was able to ride just fine and learned very fast and surprised the crap outta me.
I saw another rider drop his bike at a stop because of the height problem and put down the wrong foot when the bike leaned to the opposite side. I've fallen over because my cowboy boot got stuck in the peg...LOL....it happens...

If you want a 250cc bike just be aware that it is barely able to keep up in freeway traffic and will get blown around a lot due to it's weight. Buy it used and cheap so you can get your money out of it in 6 months because you will be chomping at the bit to move up to a larger bike by then.

Some start on a 250 and graduate to a 600cc class bike while others start on the larger bike. It is just a matter of having to move up from the 250 fairly quickly or start with a bike you will keep for a year or 2 before moving on to a different bike. You might like wearing assless chaps and buy a cruiser or love the Sport bike feel of the baby Ninja and move up to an R6. Or you might like the Sport Touring thing and buy a Triumph Tiger. You never know.....

Enjarin

Elite Member

FZ6Rob85

As far as physically fitting on the motorcycle, I have sat on a number of bikes including Victories, both of my fathers bikes ('87 Yamaha Venture & '97 Sportster 883 w/1200 kit), my friends '07 GSX-R 600, and I can remember sitting on an FZ6 a couple years back, and none of them seemed too tall. The Victories are really heavy and I could not imagine starting out on a bike that heavy with a 100 or 106 CI motor. The one bike that was glaringly too tall was my cousins KLR 650...with the kickstand down, my toes pointed and legs fully extended my legs dangled about 3" off the ground haha. I am more concerned about my lack of experience, including cornering, throttle control, etc. I very much appreciate every-ones input. I have plenty of time to ride and practice, my ride to and from work is about 20 miles with plenty of lightly populated back-roads to take instead of the freeway, and I have weekends free most of the time. My father has always ridden and in that respect I was raised to have a healthy fear of what is possible with these machines, and to ride them and treat them with respect, unfortunately he never took me out and taught me to ride because he said he would "feel guilty" if I ever went down.

BKP

snip... unfortunately he never took me out and taught me to ride because he said he would "feel guilty" if I ever went down.
I can *completely* empathize with your dad...

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Invader Jim

If you want a 250cc bike just be aware that it is barely able to keep up in freeway traffic and will get blown around a lot due to it's weight. Buy it used and cheap so you can get your money out of it in 6 months because you will be chomping at the bit to move up to a larger bike by then.
Concerning speed, it depends upon the 250. If you are on a 55-60 mph highway just about any 250 will do. If you are in a 70+ mph zone some 250s might not be a good choice.

As far as wind, I think the weight factor is highly overrated. I have owned a Rebel 250, a Shadow 600, and now the FZ6R. The FZ6R has more cross-wind issues than the other two. It is taller and has fairings. It makes a much better sail in crosswinds than the other two. None of the bikes have been problematic due to wind but sail area contributes to wind issues far more than weight in my opinion.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

cdsdave

Safest way to learn how to ride is on the dirt. Easiest bike to learn on would be a ttr 125. Learning to ride a motorcycle on the street in traffic sounds like a great way to get hurt. If you don't have anyway to learn on a dirt bike then spend a lot of time in an empty parking lot working on skills. Good luck and ride safe.

Brock Kickass

IMHO, if you're in any way comfortable with motorcycles, get the 6R. The power is very manageable, and the weight isn't a problem if you've been on a dirt bike, minibike, scooter, etc... and have half an idea what to expect being balanced on 2 wheels. If you have never been on a bike, buying the lightest thing you can get and getting used to riding might be the safer approach.
When I bought my 6R, I had never been on a street bike. I had raced motocross as a kid, and have always been around dirt bikes, minibikes, 4-wheelers, 3-wheelers, and anything else with a handlebar. I had no problem getting used to it. That being said, every rider is different. As a bonus, because it's all I was used to, I never noticed that it's heavy. I just though that's how street bikes are. Getting on something lighter is a treat now.
As previously mentioned in the thread, lots of people on this forum have started on the 6R and had success at it. It depends on what type of person you are more than anything, I think. If you're the type that can see something you've never driven, and just want to try it, having a healthy respect without being intimidated, a 6R is not at all too much bike to start on. If you're one of those folks I see on Dumbest Stuff on Wheels, who has a crowd of 5 assisting with the first time on an 80cc trail bike and still manage to ride straight in to a fence (why do these people always point the noob rider directly at a fence?) than maybe try something a little more tame. Point being, the 6R has enough power to get away from you if you lose control, but it's a very easy bike to maintain control of. Ultimately, you need to consider whether you are able to control the bike, and to control yourself.
If you get a chance to test a bike, any bike at all, take advantage of it. Don't be so careful that you fall over on your side, but just go easy, at your own pace. If it feels natural to you, you'll do fine on a 6R. If you're terrified the whole time you're riding, consider something small to start.
Whatever decision you come to, I hope riding a motorcycle turns out to be a fun and rewarding activity for you. Good luck with your decision, and ride safe.