Auxiliary/running lights

Macklinator

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum as a member, have been lurking for a long time prior, and found a lot of very helpful advice thus far. I'm wanting advice/tips on driving lights up front. Has anyone done this before (I'm sure they have I just haven't found the post yet), and if so, where did they mount them and what wiring/lights did they use?

I've already done a fair amount to my own bike. I've added reflective rim tape, shorty levers, better hand grips, blacked out the windshield, put brighter bulb in for high/low beam, and installed an accent lighting kit to the bike. Looking to add extra reflectivity and visibility, thus looking into running lights.

Appreciate it all,
Ian

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Macklinator

I changed out the stock headlight for a Phillips crystal vision. The difference while perhaps not as great as hids or led was huge!

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
Last edited:

Macklinator

Thank you so very much for that reply, exactly what I was looking for!
Would you suggest just not going down the aux lighting route at all if you didn't notice them anyways with that led bulb in? I want to see more, and also be seen more. It's almost impossible to find decent info about the brightness and throw of different aux lights, it's almost a case of "put them on and then see how disappointed you are with them" situation. Not ideal.

Forean

This is for the FZ09 but fit the FZ6R, same bulb. I put that on my 6R and it was amazing! I had aux lights that were 1300 lumens each (2600 total) and it didn't make a bit difference if they were on or off. The best feature of this bulb is from low to hi beam. A normal bulb change the light path, meaning if you use the hi beam you usually loose the close range light. With the LED bulb you don't! It's like using low and hi beam at the same time. Similar to a HID projector but better IMO.

Before investing few $100.00 in aux lights, try this one. Well worth $50.00! Much better than a expensive HID projector. One last thing, if you go aux light route... don't use car fog lights. 2 x 55W draw too much juice and the charging system won't keep up. I tried it... learn it the hard way. After about 45 minutes of use of freeway the lights were starting to fliker because of the battery was too low. Go LEDs.

Yamaha FZ-09 Led headlight bulb

All sold out :$

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Forean

Due to the led lightbulb being sold out, would something like this work instead?

Amazon.com: OPT7 Motorcycle LED Headlight Kit w/ Arc-Beam™ Clear 6K Cool White - 40w 3,500Lm CREE (H4, 9003) - 2 Yr Warranty: Automotive

I've used the same company for the led body lights on my bike, and they were very easy to install and look really pretty cool (I'm biased)
Looked at the comments and I quote

it may fit with slight modification to the headlight housing. I have a Yamaha fz6r and I had to cut away a little of the rubber boot to make it fit.

Macklinator

That's funny you found that quote Forean, I saw that when I was looking for alternatives, and actually contacted the guy about it. Waiting to hear back. :)
Thanks for the forum link Marthy. My biggest concern is some led lights throw the light differently then a regular "bulb", more light isn't better if its not focused out to where you need it. Those idiots who drive around with their hid kits without the reflector are perfect examples.
I'm also looking into the possibility of getting the crystal light up and running on my bike. Not decided what sort of bulb is gonna work bet with that yet, it'll have to be jerry rigged somewhat.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
Last edited:

blkbrd

Elite Member
Last edited:

Macklinator

I was digging around about aux lights and found those photos of yours Marthy. If the led light is bright enough for the aux lights to show up, it really must be bright! :)
Blackbird, I did not know they had a gold one... this is very interesting, do you have any photos of what that looked like? A golden light would look pretty awesome on my yellow bike with yellow reflective rim stickers.

http://www.600cc.org/forum/f19/fz6r-riders-show-us-your-baby-17229/index49.html#post451068

A couple photo's of my bike as it is thus far.

blkbrd

Elite Member

blkbrd

Elite Member

catdoc

I have the LED which is now sold out on my bike and it is really nice. Huge upgrade over the stock bulb.