Any Grip Install DIY instructions for the fz6r

ajcatx

This is my first bike and I want to be able to do as much of the work as I can. Just wondering if anyone has done a write up on new grips being installed. I find the stock ones make my hands fall asleep so i am looking through reviews of other grips to see what I can do to lessen the vibration.

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

M76

I used a razor blade to get mine off. I figured I plan on keeping my bike for a while and will likely go through several sets of grips. Don't cut all the way through though, just score the grip. It'll peel open like a banana if you do it right.

I used the hairspray method. I got some extra hold hair spray, sprayed it on the handle bars and the inside of the grips, put them on and let it dry overnight. So far they've been sticking pretty well...

vitrox

don't cut them, thats a waste of perfectly good grips. Just use an air compressor and a nozzle, lift the edge of the grip, fill with air and slide grip off. I use brake cleaner to install them, it makes the grips wet and go on easy, and it also melts a bit of the rubber to make them stick. They are ready to rock in seconds, rather than waiting for hair spray to dry.

FZ6Ryder

Gel Grips Installed

Agreed,
Use a air compressor or take it to your local Yamaha dealership and have them do it. That's how I did mine, same day. Cost about $40 to have them do it right.

Bigevildoer

This is my first bike and I want to be able to do as much of the work as I can. Just wondering if anyone has done a write up on new grips being installed. I find the stock ones make my hands fall asleep so i am looking through reviews of other grips to see what I can do to lessen the vibration.
OK, first off, try not gripping the handlebars so hard - that will help immensely. You want to keep your hands closed on the bars, but gently, the way you hold a golf club or hockey stick.

Next step, if that doesn't help, gently squeeze the tank with your legs. This will tighten your core muscles and allow you to relax your arms - it helps redistribute the load of wind resistance and weight to more muscles, thereby reducing the strain on any one group.

If that still doesn't work, try getting a pair of heavy weight bar ends.

Still no good? Don't know if these are made for the FZ6R's or not yet, but check these out: http://www.vibranator.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=23

They use helicopter technology to dampen vibrations to pretty much zero.

Hope these suggestions help.

JonKerr

Elite Member

vitrox

judging by the op's post, i'd say he doesn't have too many miles yet, therefore the grips are still good. and I still think its faster to use the air hose.

JonKerr

Elite Member