Airhawk size?

kromp

I'm thinking about doing some long distance riding, approximately 600 miles in a day, and so I'm seriously looking into getting one of those Airhawk pads to keep my butt mostly intact. Just to put on for the trip and take off when I'm done. I see that quite a few people here have commented on them, mostly positively, but here's my question: What's the ideal size for the FZ6R? I assume the small rectangular one?

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=airhawk#/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=airhawk+2+small&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aairhawk+2+small]Amazon.com: airhawk[/ame]

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Superzoom

I vote for the medium cruiser. The bigger the seat, the more the pressure is spread out, and having the medium will simulate having a larger overall seat. Wide is good.

Consider getting the Airhawk R, which has a middle channel cut out to relieve pressure on the boys. Unfortunately, there isn't a cheaper polyvinyl version of this model.

I've got the medium cruiser polyvinyl, which is half the price of the neoprene. It seems fine quality wise.

BKP

I have the Small Cruiser Airhawk (original neoprene), like Dart. Needs very little air, and works very well. I tested it out on a five hour trip with rhnatyk, a couple weeks ago, and it worked very well... You still need those stretch stops, but I never would have gotten *close* to five hours, without the Airhawk.

I understand rhnatyk has an even more ambitious ride planned for us this Sunday. I'll be adding 20mm risers to the handlebar on Saturday, so between that and the Airhawk, I should be in great shape.

While I can't comment authoritatively on the 'R' version, I'm not too sure the "wider is better" logic pans out here, since the extra "flaps" on the sides will simply hang down the sides of the seat, and both take up air, as well as serve to "spread your thighs apart" further, making flat-footing the bike more difficult, if you've got short (30") inseams, like me. I *do* wish they put that center channel into the Small Cruiser size, though... I can definitely see (feel) where that would be an improvement...

Last edited:

sammy56

I have the Small Cruiser Airhawk (original neoprene), like Marthy. Needs very little air, and works very well. I tested it out on a five hour trip with rhnatyk, a couple weeks ago, and it worked very well... You still need those stretch stops, but I never would have gotten *close* to five hours, without the Airhawk.

I understand rhnatyk has an even more ambitious ride planned for us this Sunday. I'll be adding 20mm risers to the handlebar on Saturday, so between that and the Airhawk, I should be in great shape.

While I can't comment authoritatively on the 'R' version, I'm not too sure the "wider is better" logic pans out here, since the extra "flaps" on the sides will simply hang down the sides of the seat, and both take up air, as well as serve to "spread your thighs apart" further, making flat-footing the bike more difficult, if you've got short (30") inseams, like me. I *do* wish they put that center channel into the Small Cruiser size, though... I can definitely see (feel) where that would be an improvement...
Barry,
Let me know if you and Richard want expand the group on Sunday...I would love to join you! Sunday is going to be a perfect day.

LB

BKP

Barry,
Let me know if you and Richard want expand the group on Sunday...I would love to join you! Sunday is going to be a perfect day.

LB
Absolutely, LB...
He's got a route planned up to Blue Ridge, going through Dahlonega and Suches, then back through Ellijay, Talking Rock, Dawsonville...

We'll either stop at Rider's Hill, or Blue Ridge Mount BarBQue for lunch...

We have been typically meeting at my house, since it's on the way. If you're close to Richard, you can set up to ride with him here. We've been meeting here about 10:30am... might be a little earlier this trip. If you just want to come straight here, I can PM you the address, and particulars...

We'll be finalizing on Friday. Would love to have you along...

sammy56

Absolutely, LB...
He's got a route planned up to Blue Ridge, going through Dahlonega and Suches, then back through Ellijay, Talking Rock, Dawsonville...

We'll either stop at Rider's Hill, or Blue Ridge Mount BarBQue for lunch...

We have been typically meeting at my house, since it's on the way. If you're close to Richard, you can set up to ride with him here. We've been meeting here about 10:30am... might be a little earlier this trip. If you just want to come straight here, I can PM you the address, and particulars...

We'll be finalizing on Friday. Would love to have you along...
I am north of Richard's place, so meeting by you is perfect.
I can meet whenever....I am always up early. 9am or 9:30am is fine by me, but anytime....

LB